My Mac mini for my 12 yr old, can it handle MINECRAFT and STEAM's DONT STARVE game?

I

iMore Question

mac mini for 12 yr old, can it handle MINECRAFT and STEAM's "DONT STARVE" game?

Hi,
I have been promising my son a computer for some time. I have an old apple cinema display 23" screen, keyboard and mouse. In addition to surfing the net and homework assignments, he wants to play MINECRAFT, TF2, and DONT STARVE, which are heavy on the graphics. I haven't loaded them on my iMac as I need my computer for other things. We don't want to go to a PC computer (but I am open to installing a partition for Windows on the mini if its possible), or getting him a refurb iMac 21" (though it will cost more than I am hoping to spend).
I have heard mixed reviews on gaming with the mini, and not sure how the new mini will handle this? Also not sure if my apple cinema HD display monitor (aluminum 2007) will handle this?
Would love any feedback? Hoping whatever we get can last 4-5 yrs. I know I would need at least 8GB. Also heard the new mini's are not upgradeable?
Have been back and forth about all this.
Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: mac mini for 12 yr old, can it handle MINECRAFT and STEAM's "DONT STARVE" game?

My recommendation for gaming would be to bite the bullet and go PC. While Mac are ok for gaming it's really better suited to the PC world. However, IF the particular games he wants are available and play well on the mini (and they just might) then maybe you ARE better off going that way since as Mac folks you know that system better and you can better monitor and support his system. I was able to determine from an internet search that both games ARE available for Mac with Mac version so you don't need to resort to bootcamp or anything like that.

farazrocks123

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
HELLO, I JUST GOT Mac mini and IT WORKS PERFECT WITH MINECRAFT. ALSO GOOD WITH OTHER GAMES. I HAD A PC, BUT MAC MINI IS THE SAME.

Posted via the iMore App from IPhone 6 Plus

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner