mac mini for 12 yr old, can it handle MINECRAFT and STEAM's "DONT STARVE" game?
I have been promising my son a computer for some time. I have an old apple cinema display 23" screen, keyboard and mouse. In addition to surfing the net and homework assignments, he wants to play MINECRAFT, TF2, and DONT STARVE, which are heavy on the graphics. I haven't loaded them on my iMac as I need my computer for other things. We don't want to go to a PC computer (but I am open to installing a partition for Windows on the mini if its possible), or getting him a refurb iMac 21" (though it will cost more than I am hoping to spend).
I have heard mixed reviews on gaming with the mini, and not sure how the new mini will handle this? Also not sure if my apple cinema HD display monitor (aluminum 2007) will handle this?
Would love any feedback? Hoping whatever we get can last 4-5 yrs. I know I would need at least 8GB. Also heard the new mini's are not upgradeable?
Have been back and forth about all this.
- 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM #2Q&A Jedi
- 3,364 Posts
Re: mac mini for 12 yr old, can it handle MINECRAFT and STEAM's "DONT STARVE" game?
My recommendation for gaming would be to bite the bullet and go PC. While Mac are ok for gaming it's really better suited to the PC world. However, IF the particular games he wants are available and play well on the mini (and they just might) then maybe you ARE better off going that way since as Mac folks you know that system better and you can better monitor and support his system. I was able to determine from an internet search that both games ARE available for Mac with Mac version so you don't need to resort to bootcamp or anything like that.
- 10-26-2014, 05:33 PM #3
- By kch50428 in forum PoliticsReplies: 3Last Post: 12-16-2014, 01:52 PM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 2Last Post: 10-24-2014, 09:57 AM
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-24-2014, 09:22 AM