Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default ITunes 12 - Purpose of Sync?

With iTunes 12 I've noticed that syncing my devices is a very different thing. In the past, when I synced, if I had updated an app on my device, or bought a song, it would copy it over to my Mac's iTunes library. I would also note that it said my device had just been backed up with the time and date.

Under iTunes 12, it no longer does either. When I applied the two iOS 8 patches through iTunes it warned me about purchases on my devices not being in iTunes. So now I have to remember to push Back Up Now instead and then always confirm to it that I want to copy my purchases over.

So I'm wondering what does sync actually do now and is there a reason to use it? I've noticed it's very fast and is often done in under 10 seconds, so I feel like it's doing nothing worthwhile. That said, backup can take a long time so I try to do it sparingly.
    iMore Genius

3,159 Posts

Default Re: ITunes 12 - Purpose of Sync?

Mine still backs up apps from my iPhone and iPod touch, did you authorized your iTunes account on your computer so it can backup apps?

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk