Why can't I delete Exchange mail from an iPhone?

poit57

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
My supervisor was off a few days last week and her mailbox ended up getting full. She was trying to delete some items from the inbox and then permanently from her deleted items using her iPhone.

The status at the bottom of the screen shows "connecting" for a few minutes, but the items are not deleted when it is finished with that task. Our help desk hasn't been able to figure this out.

I had her re-enter her password and it shows that all Exchange settings are verified. Now that she has gone in and cleared some space in her mailbox, she has started receiving new messages on her phone, but she still cannot move anything to the deleted folder or clear out messages in the deleted items.

I have not yet tried to deleted the Exchange account from her phone and re-add it. Does anyone have any suggestions why the phone seems to have trouble synching only when she is trying to move or delete mail items?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does she have a "Mail Days to Sync" option on her iPhone via the Exchange Mail settings? Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - [her exchange account] If she does, have her enable it to sync to her liking. Email after the allotted time will be removed from the device.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Is archiving setup on the Exchange server? We have 14 days archiving, so if mail sits in deleted items for 14 days, they are no longer visible to the user. If the user empties their deleted items folder, all emails get permanently delete, BUT the archived messages may be shown at this point. Exchange folders are odd because they only actually delete what is visible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73