Can apps that have access to your photos get your photos?

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering when apps like Tapatalk, Twitter, Instagram, Vscocam, Camera + etc. need access to your photos, can they download them to themselves? I mean I do understand why they would need access to your photos but can the developers get your photos? Or that's why there is the hide option? when you hide a photo then these apps that already have access to your photos, can't get them?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll confirm, technically yes, but if they do it becomes a touchy invasion of privacy issue, at least here in the US. The point of the access is so the app can open your photos section so you can post and share photos.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know for sure, but I would assume they would not be able to be accessed outside of the photos app itself. I've never hidden a photo and tried to use it before, but I can give it a try.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is the thing. The programs need to access your photos to accomplish their tasks and they need to use your photos to accomplish their tasks. As far as storing, it is an assumption, but I would theorise that they would store them for a finite period of time in accordance with their terms of use.
This is different from using them in a way not described in their terms of use. This was the whole brouhaha with Instagram and Facebook recently.
So....review the terms of use and don't click past.
For a feature such as hiding them and what that means, contacting the developer is probably the best course of action.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have over 60 apps I've given permission to access my photos. But it was necessary if I wanted to use the app's features.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have over 60 apps I've given permission to access my photos. But it was necessary if I wanted to use the app's features.

Yes definitely I know that and I do understand how it works but my concern is privacy, will vscocam or Twitter etc steal or look at your photo streams or camera roll and decide to use it as ads in Pakistan for example. I heard this happen to a few people where Twitter posted a picture on their timeline without the user posting it I'm sure it was a bug/mistake on twitters end but still pretty scary.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The App Store has been open since July 10, 2008. Over 6 years. There are now roughly a million apps now available for download. I have yet to hear of the type of theft you refer to. However, some such as Facebook, with their 7 apps, tell you any photo posted on their app becomes their property. Yes, that's different. But I worry more about that sort of 8S than I do Tap Tap Tap or Afterlight Collective, Inc. stealing photos from my camera roll. Apple keeps a sharp eye out for misbehavin' developers. To begin with, it's not that easy to get an app approved by iTunes and into the App Store. I think they all realize if they were to steal photos, Apple would ban them. I have many photos stored on Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. Do I trust them? Yes. I have about 40 photography related apps. I trust them too. That said, I suppose anything can happen. Your next door neighbor could break into your home while you're on vacation. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2