iCloud Backup or iTunes?

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently use iTunes on my Mac to backup my iphone. I am thinking about using iCloud for backing up my iPhone and I want to get some opinions on which one is best. I know it may come down to personal preference but I would like your thoughts.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do both... there may come a time you need to restore... and one of those may not be available so you can always use the other.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I recommend doing both just in case. That's what I do. If by chance I need to restore my device while away from home, an iCloud backup would be quite handy. Having said that, I usually sync my apps to iTunes and thus, do most of my backups via it. Furthermore, when I need to or simply want to install a fresh copy of iOS, iTunes is the way to go.

Last edited:

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Do both... there may come a time you need to restore... and one of those may not be available so you can always use the other.

When I turn iCloud backup on it says my iPhone will not backup to my computer automatically. I can still do it manually right?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I only use iTunes to sync my phone between my MAC. other than that. I back up to iCloud.

Last edited:

djr12

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I also endorse doing both methods. The iCloud backup will provide more consistent backups to make sure you lose as little data as possible, but I have found restoring from iCloud p.a.i.n.f.u.l.l.y. slow. If I know I'm going to be needing to restore, I make sure to back up to iTunes first. It restores in 1/10 the time.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to start a new thread. Nor do I want to hijack this one. While on the subject of back ups, I need some help please.
Can a deactivated device still be able to back up to iCloud?
Some of these store reps are clueless. My Cousin picked up her new iPhone 6 today.
The rep restored her contacts, that's it. He went ahead and set it up as a new device, without asking her first.
After she asked, what about my pictures etc?
He says she needs to connect to iTunes, I told her he was wrong.
She never used iTunes since she does not have a PC.
So there is not a current back up on iTunes.
So my guess, and please correct me if I am wrong.
She needs to back up her 4S to iCloud, than completely wiping her 6. And then set it up as a restore from iCloud. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Mods delete my last post please. Never mind. I figure it was in the wrong place. Thanks

Last edited:

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
She can also backup the 4S on iTunes and restore that backup on her new phone. Hopefully she hasn't wiped the 4S yet.

She doesn't have a iTunes on a pc. I am going to have her come here. I'll set it up, for her.
She says her 4S will not back up to iCloud, I think she is doing something wrong.
She also tried to sign out of iCloud on her 4S, and she got a message saying it would wipe out her content in iCloud and her photo stream.
I kept trying to explain to her in the past, not to store her photos in iCloud.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
She doesn't have a iTunes on a pc. I am going to have her come here. I'll set it up, for her.
She says her 4S will not back up to iCloud, I think she is doing something wrong.
She also tried to sign out of iCloud on her 4S, and she got a message saying it would wipe out her content in iCloud and her photo stream.
I kept trying to explain to her in the past, not to store her photos in iCloud.

As far as icloud goes, have her follow the steps I gave you when you see her. Just make sure she doesn't turn anything off and accidentally wipe her phone.

It's possible her phone has been backed up to iCloud and she doesn't even know it.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
As far as icloud goes, have her follow the steps I gave you when you see her. Just make sure she doesn't turn anything off and accidentally wipe her phone.

It's possible her phone has been backed up to iCloud and she doesn't even know it.

Thank you Heisenberg, It may very well be backed up. But she is not sure, so I am not taking any chances.
I will back it up, and wipe her new device. And start over, I appreciate your feedback.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2