Why can't I connect to LTE service in Canada with a Verizon iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?

I

iMore Question

My son & I were in Toronto last weekend. I have an iPhone 6, he has a 6 Plus. Both are thru Verizon. We were able to get service, but only 3G. Could not get LTE on any of the available roaming carriers that offer it (Bell, Rogers or Telus). Did multiple resets, including network settings, no success.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I looked around for this but could only find information on an iPhone 5
A1429 CDMA = CDMA+GSM world version.
1429 GSM = Asia version + less LTE band
1428 GSM = restricted LTE band. I would say it's for North America

short answer:
unlocked 1429 CDMA in US or Europe would be the one that worked

I would not be surprised if there are equivalents for the iPhone 6. In other words, depending on the model.

Tom M2

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you have an international plan or did you pay for a plan for Canada? I'm curious since I have a 5S which might have the same issues. Last I looked, the VZW Canada add-on was $25 for 100MB of data good for up to one month from data of purchase. That was a while back and my phone was just 3G at the time.

I have family in Canada and travel there often. I stopped buying the VZW plan and have been using the 4S after I asked VZW to unlock the SIM for international travel. I've used it in Mexico and Canada, buying local pre-paid SIMs for no more than $25 for 1GB or more of data and usually free incoming txt and low cost outgoing txt. But, it is 3G only. I'll have to check to see if VZW offers the same unlock for the 5S or newer for international use, that would be the best deal.

Tom M2

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
you got me interested in the current VZW policy. Here it is: Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

However, the disclaimer at the bottom explains certain limitations due to the frequency and bands that are barriers to complete interoperability. That said, from what I know, all the US and Canadian providers run LTE on the same frequencies and bands, same for Telcel in Mexico. But you might need to use the local SIM to gain access. I'll be calling VZW soon to find out since I have trip to Mexico planned. Hopefully I get a knowledgeable tech on my first try!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Verizon doesn't have LTE roaming agreements with Canadian providers... One can always buy prepaid service from local providers with a Verizon device, and get whatever service the prepaid provider serves.

JonMan

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Roaming in Toronto on Verizon iPhone 6. Just started getting LTE through Telus (Rogers and Bell are still stuck on 3G).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods