Why does iOS 8 remove the meta data of a photo as soon as I edit it in the Photos app?

I

iMore Question

Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet. If you edit a photo in the photos app in iOS 8, it removes the metadata such as exposure, shutter speed, ISO, etc., even the location of where the photo was taken. Once edited, opening it up in a app like Camera+ and tapping on the info will display no metadata. Also using image capture on my mac to transfer the photo and look at the info on there shows no metadata. However, if you go back into the photos app and revert to the original image, and do the same things I just listed, the metadata magically comes back. This is very odd. The idea of being able have more editing features built into the app is great. But if its going to remove all the metadata then I can't imagine continuing to use it for now. I figure that when iCloud Photo Library is finally working maybe the metadata will be displayed there but it still sucks for people that might not want to use Photos for everything and use the metadata for organization. Anyway, just seeing if anyone else is seeing this and if there may be a solution or something I'm missing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. Rene commented about meta data over in the comment section of the iMore Blog a while ago.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 10.24.12 AM.png
Source: Photos in iOS 8: Explained | iMore

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That is weird...I can see stripping some of the ISO, etc, info on an edited image, simply because the edited image doesn't really reflect those values any more. But why also strip GPS location and so on? Odd.

By the way, you might enjoy the app Photo Investigator, which has an action menu extension that allows you to view metadata right inside the Photos app. Very handy!

bizzle123

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
This issue is still here in iOS 8.1.... it's annoying as you can't save ANY edited photos to iPhoto on mac right now. It's really annoying! How's anyone else been managing their photos in the meantime?

weekeatng

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed this. I HOPE this is a temporary bug. It has squashed my idea to use iPad / iPhone to perform ANY form of editing.... this is a 'joke'. Can someone report to Apple as a bug (I did)?

I am not sure if this does not happen with iCloud Photo. I doubt so. Anyone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal