How can I get passed the activation lock on a device I bought via eBay?

I

iMore Question

I bought an ipad 3 from ebay, and the seller said it was locked. It gave me one chance to unlock the ipad which I stupidly entered incorrectly. Now it says that it is disabled and to connect to iTunes. Activation lock is on and I don't know what to do!?!?
Please help me! I paid about $190 for it, stupidly, too.
Rebecka

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: I Need Help!

I'm sorry, but there is nothing any of us can do for you in this regard.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought an ipad 3 from ebay, and the seller said it was locked. It gave me one chance to unlock the ipad which I stupidly entered incorrectly. Now it says that it is disabled and to connect to iTunes. Activation lock is on and I don't know what to do!?!?
Please help me! I paid about $190 for it, stupidly, too.
Rebecka
Do you mean passcode locked? And only one shot at opening it? I knew there was a 10 times you're out on the iPhone, but never heard of only 1 try. I don't think that is even an option! If you have the correct passcode, it should work.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Contest the sale with eBay and return/get your money back...

And Apple is now allowing people to check devices for activation locks via iCloud on the web....

Apple added the Activation Lock to iOS 7 to combat the rampant unauthorized reselling of lost/stolen devices. There is no way around this lockout? your only options are to contact the person you bought it from and get (1) the Apple ID login credentials, or (2) your money back. If you bought it from an honest/legitimate seller, they?ll help you out. If you bought a stolen device from a scumbag, you are simply SOL, and you now own a pretty, albeit expensive, paperweight.

I love the Activation Lock concept, but it appears to be punishing the unwitting buyer much more than the scumbag thief.

If you purchased the device from someone on eBay or CraigsList or a similar site, take whatever recourse you have against the seller to recover your cash.

In the future, before you buy a used iOS device make sure there is no active Activation Lock enabled that device. Just get either the serial number or IMEI and enter it here. Apple will report the status of the device.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
We hear this a lot. You will need the correct Apple ID information from the seller, or see if you can get your money back. Good luck.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2