I've noticed recently that my phone is not allowing text messages during phone calls. Why?

morrisbuttermaker

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed recently that my phone is not allowing text messages during phone calls. Sometimes it is just iMessages, and sometimes it is text messages also. I don't recall having this problem before. Could I have just been overlooking it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

If you are with Verizon, and are not connected to Wi-Fi during those times then it is normal to not receive text messages while in a phone conversation.

TheINTJ

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

If you are with Verizon, and are not connected to Wi-Fi during those times then it is normal to not receive text messages while in a phone conversation.

No it's not normal at all not to receive SMS during a call even if you have VZW. We've always been able to send and receive SMS while talking on the phone as it goes over a different channel, the problem has been that we get no data while on the phone and therefore iMessages don't work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

No it's not normal at all not to receive SMS during a call even if you have VZW. We've always been able to send and receive SMS while talking on the phone as it goes over a different channel, the problem has been that we get no data while on the phone and therefore iMessages don't work.

Okay. I stand corrected...:)

TheINTJ

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Does that mean I should turn iMessage off during phone calls if I possibly need to text during a call ?

Which phone do you have bud, and which specific version of iOS are you running?

You can certainly do that whenever you want to make a call but it's just an absolute pain in the ****. The other option is to turn on WiFi if you have a internet connection available while you'll be on the phone. IF you do have an iPhone 6 and you're on VZW then just log into My Verizon and you'll have to turn on your Advanced calling 1.0 features in order to turn on simultaneous voice and data so that you can use iMessage while talking on the phone, without being on WiFi.

NOTE: VZW's VOLTE features currently only work while you're talking to other VZW subscribers with VOLTE functionality, so there still will be instances where you'll have to use the workarounds above, but it's a step in the right direction considering we've had nothing.

morrisbuttermaker

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have bud, and which specific version of iOS are you running?

You can certainly do that whenever you want to make a call but it's just an absolute pain in the ****. The other option is to turn on WiFi if you have a internet connection available while you'll be on the phone. IF you do have an iPhone 6 and you're on VZW then just log into My Verizon and you'll have to turn on your Advanced calling 1.0 features in order to turn on simultaneous voice and data so that you can use iMessage while talking on the phone, without being on WiFi.

NOTE: VZW's VOLTE features currently only work while you're talking to other VZW subscribers with VOLTE functionality, so there still will be instances where you'll have to use the workarounds above, but it's a step in the right direction considering we've had nothing.

5S. IOS8. No wifi much of the day.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner