What does it mean to by an iPhone "Contract-Free"?

I

iMore Question

Hi,

I want to buy iPhone 6 plus straight from the US Apple Store, the problem is im not sure I understand the "contract free" deal properly...
I'm living outside the U.S, I'm living in Israel and as I saw its says T-Mobile Contract free what I don't understand is if I'll could use my Cellcom sim here in Israel.

Thanks ahead.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: What does it mean to by an iPhone "Contract-Free"?

Contract-Free means paying full price for the device as opposed to paying a subsidy and being locked in a contract for 2 years. As for using the device in Israel, I'm sure you can as long as the device is unlocked, especially for international use.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It means you are paying full price. Whether it is unlocked, I don't know. You'll have to ask T-mobile.

You also want to make sure that it has the correct bands for service in your country and with your carrier. Now most likely it does, BUT you should double check this. Ask T-Mobile what bands the phone has then ask your carrier what bands they have. IF the iphone 6 is sold like the last few have been it will be sold unlocked (with the possible exception of sprint).

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been contract free for almost two years now... However IF I was going to get a new iPhone I would go back on contract. For me the biggest benefit of being off contract is the monthly pricing. I pay $60/mo for what would normally cost me $80/mo on contract. Before ATT changed their pricing I was paying $90/mo with a 15% discount. So when I bought my HTC One M7 for about $500 I ended up maybe breaking even or maybe slightly ahead. With an iPhone you are looking at paying close to $800 for a new iPhone 6, over $1000 for the Plus. At that point you are better off going with the Edge or Next plans because your getting a discounted monthly rate AND a 0 down, 0% interest loan on the phone for 12-20 mos. Verizon also has a better monthly single line plan if you chose to put money down and subsidize you can still come out even or ahead at $60/mo.

IMO it's really only worth it if the phone is cheap enough (like a Nexus 5 or if you got a cheap iPhone 5/5s) and stuck to 2GB or less for data. It depends on the pricing for the carriers that are available but being outside the US I'm not sure what your options are.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2