Is Sending & receiving SMS messages via Bluetooth possible with the iPhone?

mike.strock

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I use this feature heavily on my current phone. Is this possible on the IPhone? I'm seriously considering moving from my current phone to an IPhone 6 Plus, but I need this feature above all others.

Thoughts?

Mike.

mike.strock

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Send & receive SMS via Bluetooth

>> Are you sure you mean SMS?

Yes, I'm 100% positive. I may not have a lot of posts here, but I'm not stupid. I know what SMS is. :( (sorry, not trying to be rude. I'm not a newbie).

I currently have a Lumia 1520 with Windows Phone 8.1 . It has this functionality built in. It's the one thing that is keeping me with the phone. Otherwise, as much as it pains me, I would switch to the iPhone because frankly, the app selection is better.

mike.strock

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

My bluetooth headset is connected to my Lumia 1520. When I get an SMS message, I get a prompt in my ear 'Message from Karen Coulter. Read it or Ignore it' . I can then say 'Read it' and it reads it to my in my ear. Once I've 'read' the message, it says 'Reply or Done'. If I say 'Reply', it allows me to speak my reply. When I'm done speaking my reply, it allows me to send it or add to the message, or cancel the message. Works pretty fantastically great. It's not a function of the Bluetooth headset, it's in the phone OS.

Does that explain it?

Mike.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Conventionally SMS is carrier base supplementary service and stand for "Short Message Service" other type of message transferring exist but they are not call SMS, instead they are call iMessages, Skype messages, BBM, whatsapp etc...
The thing that differentiate SMS with other like services is the fact that SMS use your carrier infrastructure to forward short messages to your correspondent while other services alike use other medium like Bluetooth, Adhoc network, wifi, infrared, direct satellites etc...
You can not call messages receive over Bluetooth an SMS, I mean, it's surely a short message over Bluetooth, but it's not an SMS, the same way BBM or iMessage etc are not SMS.
That been said, there is no inbuilt capabilities in the iPhone currently that can send short messages over Bluetooth at this date, however there could be application in the App Store that does that very well, or perhaps in cydia (require jail breaking the iPhone) Google is our friend.
When no wifi, no carrier available in the range, setting up a Bluetooth connection to exchange messages can become very handy. I think companies or programmers don't spend load of time building and populating Bluetooth messages due to the short range coverage of the Bluetooth network. Obviously, many people still need Bluetooth messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugzit

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site

The question really relates to cortana functionality, and from what I can find, no other os will allow you to do this completely hands free with your actual reply rather than a canned one. Siri will allow you to reply but it will not automatically read and present options to reply automatically. You have to tell Siri to read it. Google has apps that will automatically read incoming texts but will only allow you to send canned responses. ifnthe other os's fixed this I would probably switch ( again for the app selection) but I do not want to give this up. I don't know if the cortana app for android or iOS will have this feature or not.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods