Is there a way to select a 2G network instead of 3G?

sschandel

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Please help me out as i was trying to find out the 2G-3G toggle option as like iOS 7.1.2 version.
is there any way to use 2G network because in 3G battery draining very fast.

GG23

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

its in the same place for me on my 4s

Settings ---> mobile ---> enable 3g... if you turn that off it will switch to 2g.. its a toggle switch

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
re:

This has been the case since the first LTE iPhone 5. You can turn off LTE to drop to 3G but not drop from 3G to 2G.

Not universally true - In my 5c on iOS 7.1.2, I had the option to switch between 3G/2G and there was no LTE option. Situation changed with 8 as Apple probably pushed a generic update without leaving Carriers any choice. Lots of users have downgraded because of that as connections are weak & many Carriers even in India don't provide LTE. Turkey doesn't have LTE. Of course Apple Support assured me they're looking to provide a solution soon
Please visit Apple Forums for a better insight Turkey8.JPG

Last edited:

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
re:

Please help me out as i was trying to find out the 2G-3G toggle option as like iOS 7.1.2 version.

So, in India this is what that is working. Your experience maybe different. In my Area i spoke with 2 Service Providers - Vodafone & Airtel - about the 2G/3G switch missing, since i had it on my LTE enabled 5c, ever
since iOS 7. At first they were clueless, including Apple India Customer Support. Next day, however, my
Service Provider - Vodafone, called back & asked to me contact local Apple Authorised Service Center to
resolve the issue. I had already downgraded back to 7.1.2 but was curious, and was informed that they would resolve the issue. I haven't found time, but 3 of my friends got it done on their iPhone 5/5s and
have got the 2G/3G switch back. Strangely, they had to pay a small fee to get it done.

Thinking aloud - If it was the Carriers fault, of not informing Apple about incorporating the correct
switch in iOS8, the Apple authorised service centre would have chosen to ignore the issue & not offered to
resolve it. The fact, that they did & then Charged for it - is Surprising.
The staff at the service centre reasoned, the problem arose probably because of the OTA update & wouldn't
have occurred if it was done thru iTunes. I would take that with a pinch of salt.
Maybe some senior Moderator could shed some more light on this situation.

Update : the guys who got the 3G/2G toggle back installed some 3rd party Chinese App - which stopped working.SORRY about that incorrect info.

Last edited:

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
re:

Spoke with Apple Support & others involved:

1. Apple has indeed pushed a generic iOS 8 update on it's own - for all LTE capable devices
(not 4S but - iPhone5 & above etc.), as elsewhere earlier. Carriers are not involved - so at the moment users in India can't manually toggle 3G or 2G. The LTE switch is here to stay. Downgrade 3G data plan to 2G, if battery drain is one concern & bad connect while roaming the other.

2. Airtel,Vodafone & Apple Service are sending Feedback from Customers to Apple, so that indivisual profiles can be pushed in the future, depending on type of data connection Carriers can/choose to provide. That's a long haul.

3. According to industry insiders, most Carriers will provide data only via LTE/3G to capable devices - as it is better tech. & the available bandwidth of 2G is shrinking, considering growing number of users. How that pans out, in a country like India, remains to be seen.
:confused:

Senior Moderators may kindly expand on this suitably

Harish Rana

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
re:

i m also using a iphone 5s in Delhi (India) and same problem with me after update iOS 8 only shown 4G LTE option not 3G on/off, So i tried a lots of technics but no result then one last solution find i call to my Vodafone Customer care and De-activate my 3G signal service in my number and activate a 2G net plan with my number and then after 3 hours my vodafone number is only receive 2G network signal and solve my battery issue and work with 2G network but only one issue is now i m not using 3G service this time i using only 2G slow speed net with my iphone 5S, now i m waiting for next update from Apple or Vodafone Carrier update may be solve fully this issue after update

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Leave Feedback with Apple & Vodafone(Carrier)

i m also using a iphone 5s in Delhi (India) and same problem with me after update iOS 8 only shown 4G LTE option not 3G on/off, So i tried a lots of technics..........now i m waiting for next update from Apple or Vodafone Carrier update may be solve fully this issue after update

Please leave Feedback at Apple Support under iPhone here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Also send an email to Vodafone briefly explaining the issue (get a support ticket)
These are the only ways to make them listen.

update- At Apple Feedback - under iPhone - submit as 'Feature Request' cause this does not qualify as a BUG

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711