Why does Apple constantly remind us to backup our iphone

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
But when we get a new phone, we are told to install fresh (not from backup)

And on this note, why doesnt apple allow up to backup select items (like just phone logs, or messenger logs). If I have to install a fresh install, I lose my converstaions

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You do NOT have to install fresh. That is a personal preference. As for why Apple doesn't allow for select backups, I don't know. Hopefully, we'll be able to one day...:)

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Everytime that I have had an issue with my iphones, I go to the Apple store. Over the past 4 years, I have had about 5 replaced. Everytime I get the replacement, the Apple Genius tells me to do a fresh install. They have always advised me to not install from a backup.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
But when we get a new phone, we are told to install fresh (not from backup)

And on this note, why doesnt apple allow up to backup select items (like just phone logs, or messenger logs). If I have to install a fresh install, I lose my converstaions

I get a new phone every year (and sometimes I get warranty replacements in mid-year) and I?ve NEVER been told that I had to (or even that I should) do a "set up as new" (fresh?). I always restore from a backup. Not sure where you got this information, but it?s malarky, pure and simple.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I go to the Apple store in Annapolis, MD. Everytime I am there getting a replacement, that is what they tell me. I have found 3rd party apps to use instead of the Apple apps (stocks, notes, weather) and most of my other apps that I use, backup my info. So the only apps that this impacts are imessage and phone logs. It is just a simple question. I am more surprised that you think it is odd to be told to set up new.