I want the iPhone 6 but I still have another year with the 5C, what do I do?

Texcess

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Last year, I had a 3GS that was on its last leg. Oh, and my contract was up. I, like most Apple fanboys, have been dreaming, salivating, longing with an intense desire for a larger display on the iPhone. Unfortunately, 2013 was not the year we got it. All signs point to 2014 as the year the iPhone will finally get it's growth spurt. Needless to say, I want it....bad.
Ok, well, I had to get a new phone last September, regardless of what Apple released. I simply could not rock the 3GS for another 12 months. I went for the 5C because I felt Touch ID didn't offer enough functionality until it was opened up to developers. I don't take many photos to get as excited as other people did about the 5S, blah, blah and $100 is $100. Lastly, I should say, the 5C has been awesome. I love the way it feels, the way it looks, the way it works. BUT...
I really want NEED the iPhone 6.
Here is my dilemma.
I couldn't seem to find my answer on AT&T's website or when I Google the question.
I still have another year before AT&T will let me upgrade with a new subsidized device.
I don't mind paying without the subsidy this year, but will I lose my subsidy next year? Will I have to now wait until iPhone 7?
Will AT&T even allow me to buy the phone outright or will they charge me a fee for doing this? Can I just buy it and move the sim from my 5C into the 6?
If you were in my shoes and I'm sure many are, what would be my best route to getting the new iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Buying at full retail will leave your eligibility for renewing a contract later with a subsidized device exactly as it is with your current device. Buy full retail, then sell the old phone to recoup some of your costs... Then, if there's a new phone you want when your contract is up, you can buy subsidized.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Or just wait until next year and get the 6s. The 5s is a great phone. Other than the larger screen, all the goodies are in iOS 8. The 5s will get that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Buying at full retail will leave your eligibility for renewing a contract later with a subsidized device exactly as it is with your current device. Buy full retail, then sell the old phone to recoup some of your costs... Then, if there's a new phone you want when your contract is up, you can buy subsidized.

Or just wait until next year and get the 6s. The 5s is a great phone. Other than the larger screen, all the goodies are in iOS 8. The 5s will get that.

Both of these are solid choices.

Personally, I will be buying my iPhone 6 outright, like I do every year.

Texcess

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
LOL. That was a good one. "Wait for the iPhone 6S" ...and feel inadequate and full of desire for a whole other year! You got me good on that one. You're a funny guy.

Texcess

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. I think when this contract comes up, it will definitely be time to dump and switch. I pay entirely too much every month to be filled with anxiety about my data cap.

Texcess

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel better just knowing AT&T won't punish me for buying at full retail. I'm assuming I can just move the sim, reset the 5C to factory settings and send to Gazelle. Sound about right?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I feel better just knowing AT&T won't punish me for buying at full retail. I'm assuming I can just move the sim, reset the 5C to factory settings and send to Gazelle. Sound about right?
Make sure you turn OFF iMesage on the device first, and also make sure to turn off 'Find my iPhone' on it...

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so, technically your 5C will still be under contract for another year. The contract doesn't move to the new phone, it's associated with the serial number on the phone, not the SIM. At least this has been my experience with cross upgrades.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so, technically your 5C will still be under contract for another year. The contract doesn't move to the new phone, it's associated with the serial number on the phone, not the SIM. At least this has been my experience with cross upgrades.

The line is under contract not the phone.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Wrong ...
at&t could careless about the phone. You will pay for the original phone until the end of the contract period. In the mean time if want to buy another phone outright and put your Sim card in it, that's your business.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The line is under contract not the phone.

But will they unlock the phone for resale? They would not unlock mine until the two years was up on the phone. Maybe because I technically has two contracts instead of one? I would just double check the fine print before counting on being able to sell the older phone.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No. They will not unlock the phone for resale if it is locked. Why would they? Typically, they will only unlock it (if it is in fact locked) until the contract is fulfilled. However, if the buyer is using on the same carrier, no unlock would be required.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
No. They will not unlock the phone for resale if it is locked. Why would they? Typically, they will only unlock it (if it is in fact locked) until the contract is fulfilled. However, if the buyer is using on the same carrier, no unlock would be required.

I guess that's what I meant with my first post. I've only sold a couple phones and those to friends so I needed them unlocked so they could use them on their carrier of choice. So the new phone, paid for outright would now be the phone on contract? Wouldn't he need the old phone unlocked to sell it? I guess this is where I got confused. They would not unlock my old phone until the two years was up on it even though another phone was now on that number under the old contract and a new contract for my new phone on another.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If they phone needed to be unlocked, one could/would typically purchase unlocking from a third party vendor (unless it's an AT&T iPhone which can only be unlocked through AT&T currently).

But again, if the purchaser is going to use the phone on the same carrier, then no unlocking would be needed.

So the OP could just be sure to sell it as a locked phone to someone on the same carrier.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If they phone needed to be unlocked, one could/would typically purchase unlocking from a third party vendor (unless it's an AT&T iPhone which can only be unlocked through AT&T currently).

But again, if the purchaser is going to use the phone on the same carrier, then no unlocking would be needed.

So the OP could just be sure to sell it as a locked phone to someone on the same carrier.

Thank you.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Last year, I had a 3GS that was on its last leg. Oh, and my contract was up. I, like most Apple fanboys, have been dreaming, salivating, longing with an intense desire for a larger display on the iPhone. Unfortunately, 2013 was not the year we got it. All signs point to 2014 as the year the iPhone will finally get it's growth spurt. Needless to say, I want it....bad.
Ok, well, I had to get a new phone last September, regardless of what Apple released. I simply could not rock the 3GS for another 12 months. I went for the 5C because I felt Touch ID didn't offer enough functionality until it was opened up to developers. I don't take many photos to get as excited as other people did about the 5S, blah, blah and $100 is $100. Lastly, I should say, the 5C has been awesome. I love the way it feels, the way it looks, the way it works. BUT...
I really want NEED the iPhone 6.
Here is my dilemma.
I couldn't seem to find my answer on AT&T's website or when I Google the question.
I still have another year before AT&T will let me upgrade with a new subsidized device.
I don't mind paying without the subsidy this year, but will I lose my subsidy next year? Will I have to now wait until iPhone 7?
Will AT&T even allow me to buy the phone outright or will they charge me a fee for doing this? Can I just buy it and move the sim from my 5C into the 6?
If you were in my shoes and I'm sure many are, what would be my best route to getting the new iPhone?

If you pay full price it does not affect the contract and you will not lose your subsidy. You go in pay the $650+ and then your upgrade will still be next year, as it stands now.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
What has always worked for me is getting the most recent device when my upgrade is available. I've always gone the carrier subsidized rout. When I became an iPhone user, the 4s as the latest iPhone and that was the one I got. Same thing with the 5s. My next upgrade will be in November 2015 and I'm hoping the iPhone 6s will be available. Regardless of whether the 6s is available or now, I will get the latest iPhone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What has always worked for me is getting the most recent device when my upgrade is available. I've always gone the carrier subsidized rout. When I became an iPhone user, the 4s as the latest iPhone and that was the one I got. Same thing with the 5s. My next upgrade will be in November 2015 and I'm hoping the iPhone 6s will be available. Regardless of whether the 6s is available or now, I will get the latest iPhone.
The same with me. Only I got the 4 then the 5 and now I'll get the 6. No "s" model for me yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234