Mid 2014 MBP - super confused, please help!

anm99

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm going to buy my first mac laptop. It's been years I look at the lineup and see an obvious upgrade coming and then delay the purchase till the next year.

The new retina line-up (mid 2014) has recently come out and I'm thinking of just taking the plunge, although I know the Broadwell processors have likely been merely delayed till next year.

Wanting to take the plunge as I want to learn iphone app development and need a machine that will allow to me do that while I can also use it for my day to day - surfing, mails, office, music, etc.

My biggest problem is I want to get the best value for my money and so am unsure which model to go for. The entry level 13 inch model with 8gb RAM and 128 flash is the cheapest and I think should allow me to do everything I want.

However, given this is going to be my primary machine and I will want to keep it for the next 3-5 years I'm considering upgrading the RAM to 16GB at which point it seems almost unfair not to upgrade the flash to 256GB too. Going for the 256GB with 8GB RAM also feels a bit unfair, as I can always use external drive for storing things but will be stuck with whatever RAM I have. With both the upgrades I'm basically at the same price as the 15 inch base model which comes with the 16GB RAM as standard and 256GB flash but also gives me a quad core i7!!

Now it seems, that I'm going to get a lot more for my money on the base 15 inch - but then there's the issue of portability at which point I think I should just go for the 13 inch base model - then the whole loop plays back and I'm stuck trying to decide which one I should go for. It's partly because the retina models aren't upgradable at a later date.

Can you mac experts please help me?

anm99

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Is it not a hassle to carry around though? Also, for most of my dev related work I'm likely to use whatever macbook I get and connect it to screens so the screen size isn't a real concern..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234