Is there a noticeable difference between a 2g and a 4g dedicated GPU?

I

iMore Question

I'm getting ready to purchase an iMac 27". I will be ordering it with the i7 3.5 processor, and with the 512 ssd. I do photoshop work, and very light video editing. My question is concerning the gpu. At what point (or what application) would there be a noticeable difference between the dedicated 2g gpu and the dedicated 4g gpu?
Thanks!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My feeling is you can NEVER have enough memory! But that being said I don't know the specifics so I have reached out to friends in the community for further help and explanation. :)

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are using multiple displays (yes, the iMac can support an external display), or if you're using apps that have very heavy demands on things like 3D textures - really advanced games and 3D rendering software, for example - having more VRAM dedicated on the GPU can help performance. There's also a difference between the two GPUs. The 780M is clocked faster and is all around a faster graphics chip than the 775.

rfoutz

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Just signed up, so my original posting and this reply has different user names.
Thank you all for your help and insight. Very much appreciated.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just signed up, so my original posting and this reply has different user names.
Thank you all for your help and insight. Very much appreciated.

Welcome to iMore! Glad you decided to become a part of our community. :) We really are like a family here. Please feel free to take a look around and introduce yourself and say hi to other we are a friendly lot! And again welcome!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77