Why are my Facebook Messages Notifications not clickable?

brunex_1026

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
When I receive a new message on Facebook, I click the notification tab on Mavericks notification center but then the message won't open on Safari. If I click any other tape of Facebook notification all of them open a new Safari tab, only messages aren't working. Is anyone having this issue too? This is only happening two weeks ago, basically since I've updated to OS X 10.9.4

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is this the Facebook app or are you using Facebook in the browser? If it's the app I believe you have to have the Facebook Messenger app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know. I do all my Facebook on my iPhone. Facebook has recently removed "Messages" from the mobile app. But that should not affect it on a computer. Hoping someone else can help you.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I do all my Facebook on my iPhone. Facebook has recently removed "Messages" from the mobile app. But that should not affect it on a computer. Hoping someone else can help you.

Mine is not removed...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408830394.603364.jpg
(Facebook version 9.0)

Sent from my iPhone 5S (beta testing) or 5th gen iPod touch using Tapatalk

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Look at the difference between your "Messages" Symbol and the prior screenshots. Yours has the Lightning Bolt cause you've downloaded/installed Facebook Messenger. You don't have to leave Facebook to send messages now but if you choose to use Facebook Messenger separately it allows for much easier transfers of pics, vids, voice memos, etc.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes, thanks for the clarification. Yes our group has been using the Messenger App for a while.

I misunderstood, I thought Messenger was no longer going to be part of FB and the App was the only way to access it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I found this loophole that allows messages on the Facebook app without having to use Messenger. I have not tried it myself. It may be temporary until the next Facebook update. Here's how:

1. When Facebook prompts you to install Messenger, go ahead and click Yes (or Install).

2. While the app is downloading, either delete the Facebook app or open the app store and cancel the Facebook Messenger app download by clicking the circle with the square in the middle.

3. Reinstall the Facebook app if you deleted it, or reopen the Facebook app if you canceled the download. You should see your Messages button, just like before this craziness began.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I found this loophole that allows messages on the Facebook app without having to use Messenger. I have not tried it myself. It may be temporary until the next Facebook update. Here's how:

1. When Facebook prompts you to install Messenger, go ahead and click Yes (or Install).

2. While the app is downloading, either delete the Facebook app or open the app store and cancel the Facebook Messenger app download by clicking the circle with the square in the middle.

3. Reinstall the Facebook app if you deleted it, or reopen the Facebook app if you canceled the download. You should see your Messages button, just like before this craziness began.

You're correct. If you delete Facebook Messenger it will revert back to letting you use Facebook for messaging alone. However, after a day or so you will get the same cartoonish message that you need to download Messenger again. It's a vicious cycle. I actually think the new app is great and integrates well. Just when you setup skip Phone Number, etc as you don't want to give FB access to your full contact list

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You're correct. If you delete Facebook Messenger it will revert back to letting you use Facebook for messaging alone. However, after a day or so you will get the same cartoonish message that you need to download Messenger again. It's a vicious cycle. I actually think the new app is great and integrates well. Just when you setup skip Phone Number, etc as you don't want to give FB access to your full contact list
Only using the instructions in my post. If you don't have the Messenger app, messages are not in the Facebook app. The directions I gave are for those who don't want Messenger but want messages in Facebook. Facebook will probably patch that in an update.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
So I have a dumb question - why don't people want to use the Messenger App? I actually prefer it over going through FB and it seems to be kinder on battery than FB app on both iOS and Android.

Just curious :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I have a dumb question - why don't people want to use the Messenger App? I actually prefer it over going through FB and it seems to be kinder on battery than FB app on both iOS and Android.

Just curious :)

I've wondered that myself. I've used Messenger for nearly 3 years. Untrue rumors concerning privacy issues put many off. I like it. I do leave location services turned off for Messenger and Facebook. I do turn it on for Facebook briefly when I want to show where we eat. But I turn it back off afterwards.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I've wondered that myself. I've used Messenger for nearly 3 years. Untrue rumors concerning privacy issues put many off. I like it. I do leave location services turned off for Messenger and Facebook. I do turn it on for Facebook briefly when I want to show where we eat. But I turn it back off afterwards.

Thanks that's good to know.

Yes I do the same with location services as well, only turn it on at restaurants etc :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Only using the instructions in my post. If you don't have the Messenger app, messages are not in the Facebook app. The directions I gave are for those who don't want Messenger but want messages in Facebook. Facebook will probably patch that in an update.

Totally agree like I stated. Just saying that's a lot of steps to avoid downloading Facebook Messenger. Also, once you download it, you can message straight from FB anyway so there really is no reason to avoid it. So yes, your tip works, was just saying it would be a pain to have to do that every day.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree like I stated. Just saying that's a lot of steps to avoid downloading Facebook Messenger. Also, once you download it, you can message straight from FB anyway so there really is no reason to avoid it. So yes, your tip works, was just saying it would be a pain to have to do that every day.
There's those who would though. They hate Messenger and it's alert sound. ? I like it and use it myself.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
There's those who would though. They hate Messenger and it's alert sound. ? I like it and use it myself.

Yeah, I know...I gotcha loud and clear, the sound is obnoxious. It's the exact sound from the movie if you've seen it. I agree we need options so having away to circumvent the system is good but I'd personally rather deal with the noise and honestly I don't use it that often anyway. Use my iPhone for calls and apps and my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 for comms like BBM or text or email, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234