Best time to buy an iPhone _4_?

Techflaws

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably gonna get mocked for this but since the iPhone 5 looked somewhat clunky to me in a direct comparison, I decided to buy a new iPhone 4S. Now, should I wait for Apple to release the 6 so that prices may drop or should I buy right now before all 4 are sold out (in Germany)? Thx.

shivamanuja

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
of the prices are really cheap then u should buy 5s or 5c to experience ios 8 in september, iphone 5s will be awesome with ios 8, or if u r comfortable in buying iphone 6 in contract or off contract then its worth to wait for it, as we know price will be high.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Techflaws

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The question is: does Apple slash prices for all older models when the new one is released? So if I buy my 4S now, I'll be annoyed when the price drops after the 6 comes out in September. Cause I keep reading about slashed prices of Macs in computer magazines. And I'm also curious how some carriers offer the 4S for 299,- ? without contract, when Apple still sells it at 399,- ?.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
In answer to the last question I suppose carriers might have promos.

As far as the slashing prices, I've seen prices on older models go down but it varies. We can't promise you what prices will be. It's an educated guess that folks make.

I really do suggest you consider a newer model. Some of the newer features can't make it to the older models and you might regret it later.

Just a suggestion.....

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using the iMore Forums app

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
apple usually slashes prices on the last model- I don't see the 4S prices being lowered but who knows. That being said I would be concerned with how much longer apple will support that model-

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple will probably cut the price on the 5S once the iPhone 6 is released in a few weeks. The 4S will run iOS 8 but it won't get all the features. As others have said the 4S is probably near the end of it's life for getting updates.

Techflaws

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Of course I don't expect anyone to know for sure what Apple's gonna do about pricing. Still, it helpf to know they'll probably only cut the 5S price. Thx.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably gonna get mocked for this but since the iPhone 5 looked somewhat clunky to me in a direct comparison, I decided to buy a new iPhone 4S.
Why would anyone 'mock" you? It's your money and your decision to buy whatever the heck you want..:)
Now, should I wait for Apple to release the 6 so that prices may drop or should I buy right now before all 4 are sold out (in Germany)? Thx.
If you're set on getting the iPhone 4S and they are currently available in your location, it would be best to get it while you can. You have no way of knowing how many other people are thinking like you, and you would be ticked at yourself for waiting if you go to get it later and the stockpile is gone. A bird in the hand beats two in the bush...:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 5. It's what I use. The one you looked at may have been loaded with too much. That can slow any phone down. But you should go for a 5c or 5s. Prices should come down. The 4s will get iOS 8, but that's likely to be the last system update for it. The iPhone 4 won't get iOS 8.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
@OP; in my view the best time to buy an iPhone4S was in 2012. ;) no seriously mate, why does the bulky short 4S look less clunky to you than the thinner, longer 5? I just wouldnt recommend it at this point, think of iOS8 and all the exciting stuff you will miss out on. If you don't love the two coloured back, fair enough, what's your opinion on the 5C? Hope you didn't straight away reject it because it's 'plastic'. I would take it into consideration, it reminds me of the older gen iPhones (which you don't seem to mind), the white one for example is elegant and one colour only. On top of that they're affordable by now, even more after the i6 release, and you'll just get so much more value for your money. Think about it!

Techflaws

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I really don't think the 4's form factor qualifies as bulky, at all. I briefly considered going with the silver HTC One Mini instead but when I saw it in the shop yesterday I couldn't help but wonder if they deliberately took the photos in a way to hide the fact that the frame is not silver but white and looks quite cheap. That said, I don't mind the plastic on the 5C as such but I don't like the colors nor the price compared to the 5S. I guess there’s just no accounting for taste.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...
Well, I guess taking the plane to the US will cost more ;) Or do they ship world-wide?

[h=1]Where orders can be delivered[/h]Walmart ships orders to addresses within:

• The 50 U.S. states
  • APO / FPO military addresses
  • American Samoa
  • Guam
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • U.S. Virgin Islands

Source: Answer Detail

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If you like the form factor of 4s then go ahead and buy it but bear in mind that iOS 8 won't run as smooth as it will run on 5/5c/5s. (check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxy2oZ1_NA)

Re: the slashing of prices, if you can wait until last week of next month, pls wait else go to the market and pick 4s today! :)

I really don't think the 4's form factor qualifies as bulky, at all. I briefly considered going with the silver HTC One Mini instead but when I saw it in the shop yesterday I couldn't help but wonder if they deliberately took the photos in a way to hide the fact that the frame is not silver but white and looks quite cheap. That said, I don't mind the plastic on the 5C as such but I don't like the colors nor the price compared to the 5S. I guess there’s just no accounting for taste.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711