iphone 5 earpiece

I

iMore Question

having a problem with my iphone 5 earpiece.
I noticed the past year it was very hard to hear and that I was pushing the phone into my hear on the majority of my calls to hear.
so I had my friend who repairs iphones order me a new earpiece. he replaced it and it worked and it did sound much better.
but just 2 weeks ago I noticed that the earpiece would not work unless I pressed directly on the glass to the right of the camera/earpiece mesh.
I went online and bought a new earpiece thinking the one he got me was defective. and it does the same exact thing...
I did notice the physical screen Is raised compared to 2 other iphone 5's and he was telling me how my screen is "falling apart" whatever that means

does this make sense that the physical screen is my problem and the screen isn't flush against the earpiece resulting in no sound coming out unless I push the screen with my thumb?
anyone who can help I will appreciate it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible. Are you certain that everything was replaced correctly? If you have an Apple Store nearby, make a genius bar appointment just to have them diagnose the problem.

Iphone0214

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I created a user id so im the OP

and yeah yeah everything was replaced correctly whole phone works no problem and the earpiece is lined up with the 2 copper connectors.
my friend did the initial install and it worked fine for about a week and a half no problems.

and I have no warranty left on my phone.. wont they charge me $$$$ to look at it?

Iphone0214

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
he cleaned everything already.
can I just walk into apple have them diagnose it and tell me what the problem is and than I can leave and he can fix it for me? seeing how parts are cheap these days compared to what apple wants.

and thanks for the welcome to the forum. he is clueless and doesn't get why i'm having this problem

Iphone0214

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
ok I will do that. its better that I know what the problem is so I can see how much it will cost.
he said a screen from him to order and replace is $100.

it figures the next available apt isn't until Friday pretty ridiculous if you ask me

Iphone0214

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
went to apple they wouldnt even look at my phone because it was already opened and repair of the earpiece wasnt done by them.
does this really matter because i have no warranty?
im like you cant even diagnose it to atleast help me out... hes like nope im like whatever and i left......
so what do i do?...