Is it possible to find out if a lost/stolen iPhone has been restored to factory settings?

I

iMore Question

Hello, I lost my iPhone 5 yesterday at a party with unsuspicious people, when i realised that it's stolen, someone had already changed password of mine Apple ID, because he had access to e-mail, which always stays logged in. I changed email and password as soon as i could, logged in to iCloud and surprisingly device wasn't removed from the iCloud account. The problem is, that i've turned on Lost Mode, giving a number and a message + putting phone on a Passlock, but the phone hasn't appeared online for 18 hours already, so i'm getting worried, and i'm not quite sure if i had Find My iPhone turned on.

The question is - if the thief has possibly used apple id and its password to wipe out the phone to factory settings, it would become totally unconnected to my Apple ID and i have lost my precious device, even if it shows existing in Find My iPhone app on iCloud, but offline all the time? Is it possible to find out if the phone has been restored to factory settings and i got no hope anymore, but to put it on a blacklist? I was able to get signal while was calling at the same time checking that app status, but nothing and then he turned off again

Gratefully, Juris.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lost my phone, Apple ID password got changed, Find My iPhone app show device is offline all the

Sorry for your troubles- I am having a hard time understanding how access to your email would allow someone to log into your apple ID and change it- One thing really has nothing to do with the other. If you don't have find my phone active I am not sure there is much you could do. If you back up regularly to iCloud- you will at least have your pics and stuff saved

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lost my phone, Apple ID password got changed, Find My iPhone app show device is offline all the

Hello, I lost my iPhone 5 yesterday at a party with unsuspicious people, when i realised that it's stolen, someone had already changed password of mine Apple ID, because he had access to e-mail, which always stays logged in.
Unless you had your password plainly listed in your email messages, there is no way he can change it simply because he had access to your email messages.
I changed email and password as soon as i could, logged in to iCloud and surprisingly device wasn't removed from the iCloud account. The problem is, that i've turned on Lost Mode, giving a number and a message + putting phone on a Passlock, but the phone hasn't appeared online for 18 hours already, so i'm getting worried, and i'm not quite sure if i had Find My iPhone turned on.
Until it is power on and connected, there isn't anything you can do.

The question is - if the thief has possibly used apple id and its password to wipe out the phone to factory settings, it would become totally unconnected to my Apple ID and i have lost my precious device, even if it shows existing in Find My iPhone app on iCloud, but offline all the time?
If you have iOS 7 and the iCloud Activation lock has been enabled, the alleged thief will not be able to use your device without knowing your iCloud credentials.
Is it possible to find out if the phone has been restored to factory settings and i got no hope anymore, but to put it on a blacklist? I was able to get signal while was calling at the same time checking that app status, but nothing and then he turned off again

Gratefully, Juris.
Simply put, no, you cannot. You should do the following:
1. Report the device lost/stolen via local authorities
2. Notify your wireless carrier of the situation and see what recovery attempts they may be able to provide.
3. If you have insurance of some sort, now is a good time to use it to get a replacement device.

JurisNL

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for quick reply.
He used the iForgot and changed the password without knowing the previous one. That's why i'm really scared of that he might have restored the phone, removed my Apple ID from it, and made a new one or something.. One thing that he didn't do was deleting the iCloud account, because he had possibility to do it and also didn't remove the device from iCloud account, because in that case i'd be screwed for sure. So it means if the Find My iPhone app says:" Offline - Pending: Lost Mode. The iPhone cannot be located, but you can play a sound, turn on lost mode or erase it.", than the phone is going to get locked after getting online? i just believe that he has restored it and logged in another account, tried to find, but noone has had situation exactly like this. Thanks guys for real.
P.S. I don't have an isurance or anything, I bought the phone in Latvia one and a half year ago from another guy, but now am living in Netherlands and only proof that i have that it's mine is Serial, IMEI and some paper with my phone number of carrier, which is prepaid. That's why i don't even know if it's worth to block that number. It didn't have much on it anyways.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for quick reply.
He used the iForgot and changed the password without knowing the previous one.
How do you know this?
That's why i'm really scared of that he might have restored the phone, removed my Apple ID from it, and made a new one or something.. One thing that he didn't do was deleting the iCloud account, because he had possibility to do it and also didn't remove the device from iCloud account, because in that case i'd be screwed for sure. So it means if the Find My iPhone app says:" Offline - Pending: Lost Mode. The iPhone cannot be located, but you can play a sound, turn on lost mode or erase it.", than the phone is going to get locked after getting online?
The sound won't be played until the device is powered on and connected.
i just believe that he has restored it and logged in another account, tried to find, but noone has had situation exactly like this. Thanks guys for real.
Do you know the person who has your device? If so, notify police and let them handle it.
P.S. I don't have an isurance or anything, I bought the phone in Latvia one and a half year ago from another guy, but now am living in Netherlands and only proof that i have that it's mine is Serial, IMEI and some paper with my phone number of carrier, which is prepaid. That's why i don't even know if it's worth to block that number. It didn't have much on it anyways.
Have the number blocked/blacklisted. If it were me, I would make sure that the thief would not be able to use MY iPhone.

JurisNL

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

1. Because I checked email and i saw that there's an Apple ID password reset mail at 7o clock in the morning, which I didn't do.

2.Yes, but really, do you think that FMP would work even when its online, IF he had changed the Apple ID on that phone, but hadn't removed device from iCloud? Lost Mode is still pending. It shows offline all the time :/

3.No i don't, but i got suspicions on alot of people now, because our small barbecue party turned out as a hardcore rave and it could be anyone who i didn't know too well.

4.Unfortunately, I will be able to make the report only tomorrow, which is already 3 days after the incident. Today locals are closed already.
Feels like my favourite phone has went to nowhere :(
Can someone please give me a one detailed answer about the highlighted question? I'm confused as never before :(
You're help is appreciated.

Last edited:

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

1. Because I checked email and i saw that there's an Apple ID password reset mail at 7o clock in the morning, which I didn't do.

AFAIK, the password is reset only after answering the security questions, which only you would know. One cannot just send a request and get a new password over email. I think apple sends a link to reset and then makes you answer all the questions that you had put while signing for an icloud account. I may be wrong though.

As for your questions in bold, FMP will only work when connected to Data. If it is offline it won't work. If the finder has managed to remove your apple ID and put in a new one, which I beleive is difficult to achieve, then you can't do anything. FMP won't be able to trace ,since the phone is no longer associated to your icloud ID.

JurisNL

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for replying. As for password reset - there are two options: 1. email authentication (in which they just send email which contains a link to write in a new password, unfortunately) 2. security question answering.
Talking about the FMP. I know it has to be on on the device to trace, lets assume he turned it off - i still have options as Lost Mode, Play Sound and Erase Phone unless he removes the device from iCloud (pressing special button Remove the Device under the device) which he didn't do, my phone still appears on iCloud app web version with my name i gave it, but offline for a long time. Lets make it clear - the wiping is just an assuming as it is not possible to know for sure. I know thief HAD access to my password and ID, so i believe that he did it.

This is such a difficult question, that after 50 views on apple support, nobody gave me a reply :(( I wish that we can make a discussion, please don't turn on this.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for replying. As for password reset - there are two options: 1. email authentication (in which they just send email which contains a link to write in a new password, unfortunately) 2. security question answering.
Talking about the FMP. I know it has to be on on the device to trace, lets assume he turned it off - i still have options as Lost Mode, Play Sound and Erase Phone unless he removes the device from iCloud (pressing special button Remove the Device under the device) which he didn't do, my phone still appears on iCloud app web version with my name i gave it, but offline for a long time. Lets make it clear - the wiping is just an assuming as it is not possible to know for sure. I know thief HAD access to my password and ID, so i believe that he did it.

This is such a difficult question, that after 50 views on apple support, nobody gave me a reply :(( I wish that we can make a discussion, please don't turn on this.

It is not difficult. None of us have any idea what the person who allegedly has your device is doing with it. As for as we know, it could be stored in a box full of other stolen device waiting to be sold or something. What if he or she is using it for parts? There is no need to turn it on and risk detection. Without it being powered on, there is NOTHING anyone can do. Let's say that the thief knew your Apple ID and passcode. How did he know it? Let's say that he used your credentials to do uncheck the find my iPhone feature on the device via the iCloud settings. The device will no longer be visible via the Find My iPhone feature online even if powered on. Being that you can still see the device when you login to www.icloud.com tells me that the device has not been wiped or the Find My iPhone feature has not been disabled. Is it possible that the battery is dead and the alleged thief has yet to charge it? Is it possible that the device is not stolen at all and is just lost with a dead battery?

JurisNL

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

Hi again.
1. I didn't have a passcode. 2. Thief reset password of Apple ID using the access to email (stays logged on all the time) through iPhone, it is stolen for 100%.

Not to get anymore lost in this nightmare - i want to ask a simple thing;
Are you 100% sure about the fact - if i see the device logging into iCloud, i still have access to erase it when it becomes online?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Hi again.
1. I didn't have a passcode. 2. Thief reset password of Apple ID using the access to email (stays logged on all the time) through iPhone, it is stolen for 100%.

Not to get anymore lost in this nightmare - i want to ask a simple thing;
Are you 100% sure about the fact - if i see the device logging into iCloud, i still have access to erase it when it becomes online?

Yes

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711