Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karenkcoulter
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default mini mac for dog rescue and ip cameras

We have a dog rescue with a macbook pro at the house and one at the dog cabins. We are installing cameras around the place and are wondering if we should get a min mac and hook it up to a TV to display the cameras. We are using SecuritySpy and only have one license, so we need one central computer. I am leaning towards buying the $799 mini to get the extra storage to store the camera files for a month or two. But the server option looks good, I am just not sure how to use it. Could we use it to see the camera pics from our laptops? We can always hit the IP address in safari, but that doesn't let us see 4 or 8 at one time like the software does. Can we use our laptops as thin clients if we get the mini mac server?

Thanks...we are a relatively new dog rescue and expect to keep growing.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    880 Global Posts

Default Re: mini mac for dog rescue and ip cameras

I'm not sure what you're asking. The Mac Mini is a great device. I'd say it is very capable of running "SecuritySpy", as well as storing any footage on it alone.

Good luck with your rescue, I have the upmost respect for that.
    iMore Nanite

Thanks for your reply. I will try to be more clear. I am asking if we put SecuritySpy on the mini mac, will it act as a server in the sense that we can see what it sees. What I mean is can I see the screen it displays. I want to see on any laptop all the cameras in a 4x4 or 8x8 window. Right now I can only use one laptop to see this and I would rather display it on a large TV and then let the other laptops see if when they need to.

We have 50 acres and people come to our gate wanting in to see the dogs. It would be nice to see who is at the gate before we go. Believe it or not, we have been robbed for our tools and such.
    a

Global Posts
    6,407 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I think I know what you are asking. you just want to see the entire screen of the Mac Mini? Yes you can do that from your laptop. All Macs (you don't need a server) are capable of running VNC which is a desktop sharing protocol. If you can go into Preferences on your Mac laptop, under Sharing you should see an option to share files, share screen, etc. if you turn screen sharing on, then on another Mac you should see that shared Mac show up in the Finder sidebar. Clicking it will then show you any files you have shared and you should see a button to launch screen sharing.
    If you have two laptops you can experiment with Screen Sharing between them before getting a Mac Mini.
    If your laptops are Windows, then you can find free/low cost VNC software for Windows which would allow you to connect to the Mac Mini or any other Mac with Screen Sharing turned on.
    Beyond Fire likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Thank you. I think I will try that. I am also reading about the "back to my mac feature". All our laptops are macs. I just need to have something dedicated to run the SecuritySpy software...I guess I can get a low end mini mac to do that. Something that is always on. Thanks...you saved me some $$$...and we can use every penny to go towards the animals.

Global Posts
    6,407 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by WAAAG View Post
    Thank you. I think I will try that. I am also reading about the "back to my mac feature". All our laptops are macs. I just need to have something dedicated to run the SecuritySpy software...I guess I can get a low end mini mac to do that. Something that is always on. Thanks...you saved me some $$$...and we can use every penny to go towards the animals.
    Back to my Mac is only useful if you need to do Screen Sharing when you aren't on the same network. Also I think you maybe need to be able to set your router up to support it. Not sure on that though.