I bought a non-functioning iPhone 5C. Will repairing the screen make it work?

I

iMore Question

Hey i bought an iphone 5c today, it was broken the person told me she "thinks" i can just replace the screen and it will start working..

pic of inside of phone
332nxpe.jpg

pic of screen that i took off phone
2lu6u7c.jpg

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Iphone 5c help

I'm not sure I'd try to do this myself.. That phone looks pretty damaged! Try taking it to the Apple store.

fallen2dc

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

What should i do? should i order a new screen? im just scared that im gonna waste my money and its still not gonna work

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

1. Why would you buy a non-functioning iPhone?
2. Did the person you purchased it from at least have AppleCare + for it?
3. As already been stated, I recommend you make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I hope you did not invest much in that phone. You will end up paying more getting it fixed than what a good used iPhone 5c that works good costs. I would sell it for parts and buy me a working phone.

fallen2dc

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Im gonna order a new screen for it. But before i do that is their a way to see if the phone still works without having a screen on it?

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I would ASSUME you could plug it into a Mac and see if iTunes shows a reaction? But don't take my word for it, zero knowledge when it comes to that and just going by what it looks like I personally probably wouldnt do it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless you just want to tinker with it for fun with no expectation that anything will come of it, I would not buy it. If you've already bought it, you've assumed the risk. I really hope you didn't pay much for it.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey i bought an iphone 5c today, it was broken the person told me she "thinks" i can just replace the screen and it will start working..

pic of inside of phone
http://i58.tinypic.com/332nxpe.jpg

pic of screen that i took off phone
http://i61.tinypic.com/2lu6u7c.jpg

No one here can answer this. What you're asking is basically equivalent to "I have a headache, can you tell me if it's a tumor?" No one can tell you if just swapping the screen will fix the iPhone. There's every chance that the phone could have more issues* than just the screen. There's every chance that the person who sold it to you *borrowed* it from someone, and it's activation locked. No way to fix an activation lock without the original owner.

If you bought this to mess around with, then have at it, but if you bought it for a quick fix to use as a daily driver, likely won't happen.

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It really sucks when people buy an expensive paperweight. With the screen being broken you don't know if it's iCloud locked or if the ESN is bad. Maybe plug it into iTunes as someone said and see what happens.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

nothing happens when i plug it in still black screen and im holding lock adn home button nothings happening

that doesn't sound good mate, hate to say it but chances are it's basically rubbish. I have a damaged screen and the phone still works superbly, a friend's iPhone has a huge hole where part of the screen should be (you can actually see the internals) and it's still responsive. Yours sounds way too dead for the screen to be the only culprit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711