What is the best hard drive size for law student?

tumbleweed4

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm heading to law school next month and am looking at an Apple laptop. Many have said the apple air would be good over the pro because it is light and I would not need all the features the pro offers. Is this true?

Also, what hard drive size, SSD, would be best for a law student who is writing long papers, case notes, outlines, etc.?

Does anyone think a CD burner, or any other features are necessary?

Last edited:

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best hard drive size for law student

I would say the Air, because of its portability, but I would recommend upgrading the RAM to 8 GB if you will have a bunch of programs open at once. If you won't have a lot of programs open at once, the 4 GB should be fine. Another good upgrade would be to purchase a 1 TB or greater external hard drive. Keeping the standard 128 GB SSD would be good, but for storing mass amounts of files, a large hard drive would be a good choice.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best hard drive size for law student

I'm heading to law school next month and am looking at an Apple laptop. Many have said the apple air would be good over the pro because it is light and I would not need all the features the pro offers. Is this true?

Also, what hard drive size, SSD, would be best for a law student who is writing long papers, case notes, outlines, etc.?

Does anyone think a CD burner, or any other features are necessary?

I studied law at University way before computers were in general use (late 80s) and I remember the epic amounts of notes I made in class. I would agree with the poster above that as you are mainly going to be using it for dissertations, the Air is perfect. You only need an CD/DVD drive if you plan on backing up your notes to a disc, otherwise, get a 1Tb external drive and back up to that instead.

I should think you might want to look at a 256Gb SSD instead of the base 128Gb. 512Gb might be a bit excessive as I would personally always want to back up important notes and papers to an external source.

johnnymapson

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
I have yet to buy ANY laptop or device and said, "wow I just have way to much memory." I always buy as much as I can afford. I bought the external DVD drive and it sat for 4 months but lately stuff at work came up and I have used it a lot lately.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to buy ANY laptop or device and said, "wow I just have way to much memory." I always buy as much as I can afford. I bought the external DVD drive and it sat for 4 months but lately stuff at work came up and I have used it a lot lately.

I disagree, some people don't need too much storage. It could potentially be a waste of money to buy a large capacity.

johnnymapson

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
I disagree, some people don't need too much storage. It could potentially be a waste of money to buy a large capacity.

Absolutely. The people I spend time with often are upgrading their whole systems simply because they are out of space. I think how much the budget is plays a big part in the answer. I think you are right that some people could be wasting money buying a large capacity.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77