My iphone is frozen and won't allow me to do anything. Can you help?

I

iMore Question

My lock button isn't working, the home button is also not working. I cant get to the home screen to do anything. I tried to hold down the lock button so the phone will turn off so I can restart it but no matter how long I hold it for it just wont turn off. Please help.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Since both buttons don't work, let the battery drain and it will reset once it turns off. May want to make a Genius Bar appointment for a repair if u are still under warranty.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Try plugging your device in and hold the power button and home button together until you see the Apple logo. I suggest making a Genius Bar appointment.

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You can check if this is software issue or buttons are really dead by removing and re-installing the iPhone's battery, and then trying to power on the phone.

Sent from iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
You can check if this is software issue or buttons are really dead by removing and re-installing the iPhone's battery, and then trying to power on the phone.

Sent from iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Sounds so simple, why didn't I think of that

shelaaussie

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
First time on this site and this one sentence worked quickly and effectively immediately! I have had the phone for a week and remembering all that I was shown in a few hours still has not sunken in so thanks for the CORRECT info. and I will remember from now on to "hold down both buttons at the same time"! You saved my day!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First time on this site and this one sentence worked quickly and effectively immediately! I have had the phone for a week and remembering all that I was shown in a few hours still has not sunken in so thanks for the CORRECT info. and I will remember from now on to "hold down both buttons at the same time"! You saved my day!

Welcome to iMore shela

Our members are always glad to help and the procedure you performed is called a Hard Reset

Glad your back up and running

Enjoy and Post Often 😀

Hillary Taylor

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't know how it happened...bt I can't get into my phone now. it is frozen and won't let me do anything. how do I fix this? I will take it into bell asap but until then if I can resolve it that would be great!

appreciate any help!

Thanks !

CosmicDucks

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me just a few days ago whilst I was updating apps, If you hold down the home and lock button together for a moment then just let your phone sit there for a few minutes, it should go to a black loading screen then will just go to your lock screen ready for password/touch ID

mogdog1010

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
HI, hold your power button and home button at same time till you see Apple logo.
This was the most helpful thing ever I would have never figured out how to get it fixed otherwise because I was to scared to tell my parents (I was mainly to scared because my parents do NOT know I own a phone)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I’ll reiterate the info here because some don’t seem to read through the entire thread. If your phone is frozen hold the power and lock button until the screen goes black and an  appears. iPhone 7 and up hold the power and volume down buttons because the home button no longer works for this procedure. Once your phone reboots think about enabling assistive touch in the accessibility settings. You can use the virtual home button to restart or shutdown the device.

ilovetrk

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Thank you!!! I have a 7+ and have taken so many screen shots trying to do a hard reset. Lol This solution worked for me. :biggrin:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Will it reset your iPhone ?

Yes, a hard reset (as described above) resets your phone.

Hard reset: does not delete anything on the phone.
Factory reset: deletes everything on the phone and reinstalls the OS.

Please quote the person you are replying to. It helps us to better help you and in most instances clarifies what it is you are asking or saying. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2