If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained & charge continuously?

haej1

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained & charge continuously?

If my phone is fully charged and plugged in, will the battery get used and drained and then gets charged continuously. Or will the battery be untouched and all power gets drawn solely from the power outlet instead? And if it's the latter does that mean that a charge cycle will not be consumed as it's not using power from the battery?

I've been playing graphic intensive games on the Iphone and realized I'd consume a lot of charge cycles switching between playing it and then charging. So I thought that if I play at 100% and plugged and if it's true that at that point power is drawn from the outlet and not the battery I wouldn't lose any charge cycles and my battery lifespan will last longer. Please clarify my assumption. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re: If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained & charge continuously?

Welcome to iMore

No the power is supplied by the battery when your device gets to a 100% the charge cycle stops till the battery deplete a percentage or two then resumes the charge

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Fully charged and plugged Iphone uses power from battery?

When your phone charges, lets say at night when you're not using it, it will charge to 100% then drop to around 95% and then back to 100. It does this to keep from over charging. You'll notice sometimes your phone may be at 98% when you take it off the charger.

In your case in don't think it will do this with a constant load on the phone playing games.

As for lasting longer I don't think this matters. LI batteries last a certain period of time and that's it.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
re: If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained & charge continuously?

Yeah, you can't just plug in with a full charge and use the a/c from a wall outlet to play games or anything else. It still uses the battery.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

haej1

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained...

So the conclusion is that whether I play and then charge and repeat or play while fully charged and plugged, the battery/charge cycle would still be consumed with the only benefit of playing while plugged being that I don't run out of battery while playing and nothing else.

If anyone knows otherwise please post if not I think the question has been resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

kaboomcanuck

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: If my phone is fully charged & plugged in, will the battery get used, drained & charge continuou

Your answer is incorrect. Your not using AC from the wall to charge your battery and then using the battery to power your phone. The adaptor you plug into the wall is converting the AC from your all into DC before it even reaches your phone. This is being used to power the battery and could therefore also be used to power the phone separately. If this is actually happening I don't know but you could download a battery app for your phone to find out. It would show a large discharge and recharge rate if this is happening.

I do believe however that the phone will not use the battery if it's plugged in. Your battery will still drain however as there are components in your battery that draw small amounts of power. This however shouldn't cause a noticeable drain (about 5% every month if your device is completely powered down for that month).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2