Should I keep the MBP 2011 after its lease ends?

I

iMore Question

I have a 2011 MBP 15" w/ i7 core on a business lease that will end in Sept. I can pay "fair market value" & keep the current MBP. Or, I can return the MBP & get something else. I think the fair market value will be ~$550 to keep the MBP. Should I keep it or consider spending a little more to get a 13" MacBook Air?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a decision only you can make but my opinion is if it has served you well and meets your needs it's something to consider

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Will your current MBP meet your needs and if so keep it. If not go check out and find out the difference in pricing with the MBA and go from there.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
you won't get a new Macbook at 15" for less than $2000. That is a point to consider.

The RAM is slower and Sandy Bridge is quite old now but the i7 still conpares favorably to the low voltage CPU in the MBA. Factor in the ability to do aftermarket upgrades and the 2011 MBP is probably worth hanging onto for another 18-24 months

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

G-man86

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the others. If your current MBP is serving you well, then it would be worth paying the $500 to keep it. Especially, as Algus said, you could do upgrades - increase RAM to 16Gb & switch to SSD drive if you need a little more power. Consider that MBA 13" starts at $1000 & MBP 13" start at $1300.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2011 MBP 15" w/ i7 core on a business lease that will end in Sept. I can pay "fair market value" & keep the current MBP. Or, I can return the MBP & get something else. I think the fair market value will be ~$550 to keep the MBP. Should I keep it or consider spending a little more to get a 13" MacBook Air?

Of course, it depend on your needs, however, I am using a white MacBook (early 2009 model) and running OS X Mavericks on it without a problem. If that is an indication for you then I'd say to pay the $550 for the current device that you already have and is set up exactly the way you want it. Still, only you can know what is best for YOU.