Transferring music to new Apple ID and iTunes

dfbjyoo

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, so before I get into it, I just want to give some background information leading up to my question. So I just graduated high school and will be going off to college this coming fall. Now, I am going to be getting a new computer, a Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch model to be specific, and am just as excited to finally have my OWN Apple ID. I've had an iPod and have been using iTunes since I was 11, so obviously I didn't have a payment method to purchase my content, so I obviously used my mothers, who specifically made one just for me and my sister.

Fast forward several years later, and we've purchased TONS of content, music, movies, apps, etc. And its finally time for me to have my own account and not have to worry about making purchases on my moms account (that would be a hassle in college and pretty embarrassing). I finally want to buy and purchase content that I can safely say is actually mine.

Now my question is, how can I transfer iTunes purchased music from my moms Apple account to my own? Now before I finish, I just want to say that, yes, I do know that the music will always be tied to my moms account and is compatible with her iCloud, so I won't be able to do stuff like redownload songs from iTunes if I deleted the files. Personally, I don't mind that all that much, just as long as I have the music files and can playback on my iTunes library. Speaking of which, I actually have backed up my entire library on an external hard-drive, in hopes that when I do get my new Macbook, I can simply just copy and paste the files into my new iTunes library, and from there, I can also sync the music onto my iPhone and iPad. Can someone please correct me if this method is wrong, and shed light on my little problem here, and if theres a better method out there for doing this?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You can log into your mom's account on your Mac and download the music or you can copy everything from the external hard drive. When iOS 8 and Yosemite are released, you should check out Family Sharing.

dfbjyoo

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
You can log into your mom's account on your Mac and download the music or you can copy everything from the external hard drive. When iOS 8 and Yosemite are released, you should check out Family Sharing.

Thanks for replying! I actually skimmed over the Family Sharing portion in the WWDC keynote so I don't know that much about it, correct me if I'm wrong but that requires families connected with the same Apple ID right?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
No you don't need to share your Apple ID with iOS 8 it will link through your credit card used on the account. Up to 5 different people.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods