After replacing my device's earpiece, it still doesn't work. What's the problem?

I

iMore Question

I replaced the ear piece myself because it was not working. After replacing it, it still doesn't work. I have tried soft and hard resets. I have tried cleaning out the headphone jack. I'm not sure where to go from here. Help!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I replaced the ear piece myself because it was not working. After replacing it, it still doesn't work. I have tried soft and hard resets. I have tried cleaning out the headphone jack. I'm not sure where to go from here. Help!

EEEEK that is seriously bad luck. Had you dropped the device or bump it hard? Did it suddenly stop or was it a gradual deterioration of sound? Those details would help us get you an answer.
Personally I would go to an Apple store for repair, but I know that's not always possible.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question but you have verified that you don't have your mute switch on or the sound slider is turned all the way up? if yes to those you may want to do a back up and a clean install and then use your backup to get to where you were with your settings and try then.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

1. What's the device you replace the ear piece for?
2. Did you follow a set of instructions or did you wing it?
3. Are you certain the replacement part was functional?
4. Did you increase the volume lever after replacing the ear piece?
5. If the device is an Apple product, I recommend you make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to see if they can make it work for you.

kparker00

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Stupid question but you have verified that you don't have your mute switch on or the sound slider is turned all the way up? if yes to those you may want to do a back up and a clean install and then use your backup to get to where you were with your settings and try then.

I did verify that the mute switch is not on and that the sound slider is turned all the way up. I had taken the iphone 5 to an Apple store for the sleep/wake button recall about a week after the sound quit working. I backed everything up and did a wipe on my phone for them to fix it. They would only work on the recall and not anything else. $150 to fix it they said.

kparker00

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
1. What's the device you replace the ear piece for?
2. Did you follow a set of instructions or did you wing it?
3. Are you certain the replacement part was functional?
4. Did you increase the volume lever after replacing the ear piece?
5. If the device is an Apple product, I recommend you make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to see if they can make it work for you.

It is an iPhone5. I purchased the replacement ear piece speaker from the Phone Doctors with all the proper tools. I followed an instructional video while I replaced it step by step. I increased the volume level and did a hard reset on my phone. I took it into an Apple store for the sleep/wake button recall. I told them about it, however they would not do anything to the phone but the recall. They said it is going to cost $150. In that case I will probably just wait and do an upgrade in the fall when the iPhone 6 comes out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox