Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question
    iMore Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Question How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Looking to do a factory reset on an iPod Touch, without a computer. Is this possible?
  2. #2  
    Beyond Fire's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    875 Global Posts

    Default Re: Reset iPod Touch without a computer

    Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings.
  3. #3  
    DanTDavies's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Did that, but then it asks for a connection to iTunes. How do I get past that?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTDavies View Post
    Did that, but then it asks for a connection to iTunes. How do I get past that?
    You should be able to set your device as new without iTunes but you will need an internet connection to get the device activated.
  5. #5  
    DanTDavies's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Still do not know how to get past the demand that I connect to iTunes. It will not do anything - just shows that screen.
  6. #6  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Is it possible as a thought a trusted friend that has iTunes or a library that has https which designates a secured site to set it up and then the only problem if this is where you don't have a computer you will never keep it up to sync or add or remove anything. Just trying to think outside the box for you.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTDavies View Post
    Still do not know how to get past the demand that I connect to iTunes. It will not do anything - just shows that screen.
    After the process if erasing all contents and settings was complete, you should have been presented with the welcome screen, and soon followed by a prompt that gave you the option to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup or set it up as new. Selecting the iCloud backup or the set up as new option, unless I'm mistaken, should allow you to set up your device without iTunes. Do you have a screenshot of where you are stuck?
  8. #8  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    After the process if erasing all contents and settings was complete, you should have been presented with the welcome screen, and soon followed by a prompt that gave you the option to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup or set it up as new. Selecting the iCloud backup or the set up as new option, unless I'm mistaken, should allow you to set up your device without iTunes. Do you have a screenshot of where you are stuck?
    All of the being true I have never seen it say where do
    You want to restore from ie Your answer about iTunes or iCloud. Only from the word backup or new. If I am wrong sorry but I just have never see it ask about what backup and give you a choice. Sorry if I a. Wrong on that point.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    All of the being true I have never seen it say where do
    You want to restore from ie Your answer about iTunes or iCloud. Only from the word backup or new. If I am wrong sorry but I just have never see it ask about what backup and give you a choice. Sorry if I a. Wrong on that point.
    You're right, but when you select backup, you are presented with the aforementioned backup choices.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
  10. #10  
    DanTDavies's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    After the process if erasing all contents and settings was complete, you should have been presented with the welcome screen, and soon followed by a prompt that gave you the option to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup or set it up as new. Selecting the iCloud backup or the set up as new option, unless I'm mistaken, should allow you to set up your device without iTunes. Do you have a screenshot of where you are stuck?
    Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot - but it is just the graphic of a white usb connector with an arrow pointing towards the word iTunes.

    I did the erase content and settings, then it presented me with that screen. I would like to just reset it to factory original. I do not understand why it needs iTunes for that! So I would like to get past that screen and just get it as if it were new.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTDavies View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot - but it is just the graphic of a white usb connector with an arrow pointing towards the word iTunes.

    I did the erase content and settings, then it presented me with that screen. I would like to just reset it to factory original. I do not understand why it needs iTunes for that! So I would like to get past that screen and just get it as if it were new.
    First of all, something apparently went wrong. You should not have gotten to what appears to be the recovery screen after choosing to erase all contents and settings. You should have been greeted with the welcome screen. If you are indeed at the recovery screen you can try holding both the power and home buttons simultaneously until the device shuts off and then press the power button to turn the device back on. If it goes back into recovery mode, you will have no choice but to connect the device to iTunes to restore it.
  12. #12  
    acerace113's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,166 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    What generation is your iPod touch and what iOS version where/are you running?


    Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch (beta testing) or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    You're right, but when you select backup, you are presented with the aforementioned backup choices.
    Now I understand where you are referring to... Thank you.
  14. #14  
    DanTDavies's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Done! I went over to my daughter's and used her computer, which has iTunes on it. As soon as the iPod saw iTunes, it finished - a matter of seconds. Still do not know why it needed that step, but at least it is done. I was refurbishing this older iPod to donate it.

    Thanks to all who posted comments and advice - it is greatly appreciated.

    Dan
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTDavies View Post
    Done! I went over to my daughter's and used her computer, which has iTunes on it. As soon as the iPod saw iTunes, it finished - a matter of seconds. Still do not know why it needed that step, but at least it is done. I was refurbishing this older iPod to donate it.

    Thanks to all who posted comments and advice - it is greatly appreciated.

    Dan
    You're very welcome, and thank you for the update.

Similar Threads

  1. I purchased a Yellow iPod Touch
    By nikkisharif in forum iPod & iPod Touch
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:10 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 05:07 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM
  5. How do i play my iPhone and iPad movies on my old Compaq computer?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Posting Permissions