Graphics on 13 Retina MacBook Pro vs. 15in retina MacBook Pro

I

iMore Question

I am in the very difficult process of deciding whether to get a 13 in retina MacBook Pro or a 15 in retina macbook pro. I will mostly be working with many gigs of video files form go pro, editing them, and playing them. Right now i have a 15 in 2009 retina macbook pro 2.43ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3. I have great trouble even opening up go pro videos in quicktime and playing them- they are always laggy and choppy and I'm never happy. I made a time lapse in go pro studio and tried to play the timelapse- my mac couldn't even play the time lapse. It also always seems to freeze while working with these large gb go pro videos.

I want a 13in retina macbook as I am going off to college and want something smaller than a 15, but at the same time i to not want to sacrifice the high graphics etc of the 2014 15in that i would need un order to work with these videos.

What gb and ghz and any other specs could i max out with the 13in retina macbook pro and be able to do what i want to? Or is it really never going to satisfy my wishes and i should go w a 15in?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am in the very difficult process of deciding whether to get a 13 in retina MacBook Pro or a 15 in retina macbook pro. I will mostly be working with many gigs of video files form go pro, editing them, and playing them. Right now i have a 15 in 2009 retina macbook pro 2.43ghz intel core 2 duo 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3. I have great trouble even opening up go pro videos in quicktime and playing them- they are always laggy and choppy and I'm never happy. I made a time lapse in go pro studio and tried to play the timelapse- my mac couldn't even play the time lapse. It also always seems to freeze while working with these large gb go pro videos.

I want a 13in retina macbook as I am going off to college and want something smaller than a 15, but at the same time i to not want to sacrifice the high graphics etc of the 2014 15in that i would need un order to work with these videos.

What gb and ghz and any other specs could i max out with the 13in retina macbook pro and be able to do what i want to? Or is it really never going to satisfy my wishes and i should go w a 15in?

First of all, not sure what computer you have, as there was no retina macbook pro in 2009 - they weren’t made before the 2012 model. But with that out of the way, I’d strongly suggest that you check this comparison page out on the Apple site. Click through the BUY NOW links for each retina model to see what upgrades you can get, and what the associated cost for each would be. Unfortunately, no one here can make that decision for you, as it’s all a matter of personal needs and wants. I can say, though, that if you are "bent" on a 15" screen, I don’t see you being happy with the 13" screen no matter what other options you choose.

Is there an Apple store near you that you could visit so that you can play with the various machines? If not, a place like Best Buy would also work. In fact, a third party retailer may be a better option, as the Apple stores tend to be crowed, and often times resemble a full-blown 3-ring circus. There’s a great authorized Apple retailer near my home that has some really knowledgeable and helpful folks for just this type of exercise. And as much as I like the Apple stores for a lot of reasons, if you do visit a 3rd party retailer for the research, don’t take the info and run for the cheapest vendor. Their information, input and expertise are certainly worth something. Buy from them if you use them as a resource. It’s just the responsible thing to do.

Compare Macs - Apple Store (U.S.)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2