Gmail doesn't appear - only my work email (and iCloud because I have added the account after the loss of notes). I am pretty sure, however, that the sync notes function was not toggled on before I lost the notes.

From what I gather from this thread my last option is to wait until I have access to my work email on a computer and see if there should be any notes folder. Is that right? I'm pretty sure there won't be any unfortunately.
    Your notes could not have just vanished for no reason. Was your notes app synced to any email account at all? Not Gmail? Do you have other accounts? Yahoo, Outlook? Are Notes turned on for iCloud?
    07-28-2015 08:03 AM
    I just found this post over google... so my first post in this forum, but I have the same problem!

I am using default ios notes for years now, my icloud is turned off for notes, my gmail account has a notes folder but I dont use it, and in the settings when I go to notes, it say default account - on my phone. I never touched any settings for notes and I never had any problems!
    I have an iphone 5 with ios 8.4

for the past week or so I was using notes every day for a bit, last time jesterday around 7PM, today I open the notes and its empty!!!
    i tryed to restart my phone, I also did the power//home button restart, still empty. I tryed to make a new note, works perfecly fine, but other then that... all my past notes are gone!! I have a backup that is few weeks old so I didnt lose too much, but still... how did this happend???

Since jesterday I didnt do ANYTHING with my phone.. no updates, no restarts, no sync or installing any apps... the only thing I did was subscribing to a new podcast.

if somebody finds a solution for this problem, please update this post, I would still love to have m my notes from the past week.

Thanks
    07-31-2015 02:08 PM
    I just found this post over google... so my first post in this forum, but I have the same problem!

I am using default ios notes for years now, my icloud is turned off for notes, my gmail account has a notes folder but I dont use it, and in the settings when I go to notes, it say default account - on my phone. I never touched any settings for notes and I never had any problems!
    I have an iphone 5 with ios 8.4

for the past week or so I was using notes every day for a bit, last time jesterday around 7PM, today I open the notes and its empty!!!
    i tryed to restart my phone, I also did the power//home button restart, still empty. I tryed to make a new note, works perfecly fine, but other then that... all my past notes are gone!! I have a backup that is few weeks old so I didnt lose too much, but still... how did this happend???

Since jesterday I didnt do ANYTHING with my phone.. no updates, no restarts, no sync or installing any apps... the only thing I did was subscribing to a new podcast.

if somebody finds a solution for this problem, please update this post, I would still love to have m my notes from the past week.

Thanks
    I find it best to toggle Notes on for iCloud. And toggle anything else, such as an email account, off. That way Notes will be backed up to iCloud and you won't lose any. It's how I do it and have had no problems at all.
    07-31-2015 04:21 PM
    Thanks for your answer, but its not really helping and your opinion seem to imply that its normal to lose data just like that?!
    So people who refuse to use iCloud just have to accept the fact that data typed into phone will randomly vanish?
    grnmtnbuckeye likes this.
    08-01-2015 07:02 AM
    My Notes app disappeared completely. I have tried everything for a week, every setting in the notes, everything possible, including eveything on this thread. I am a very experienced iPhone user of many years. The responses on this thread aren't helping. There is something happening to some people with the Notes app. Even the guy at the Apple store couldn't figure it out.
    08-01-2015 01:14 PM
    My Notes app disappeared completely. I have tried everything for a week, every setting in the notes, everything possible, including eveything on this thread. I am a very experienced iPhone user of many years. The responses on this thread aren't helping. There is something happening to some people with the Notes app. Even the guy at the Apple store couldn't figure it out.
    The responses in this thread are probably from people who have NEVER experienced what you are describing so instead of saying that they are not helpful my, be thankful that they are taking the time to attempt to help. I've owned the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5S and now the iPhone 6 Plus, and my native Notes app have NEVER EVER EVER disappeared from the screen. In fact, I'm currently running iOS 9 beta, and if something like that happens it'll more than likely do so via beta software, and yet, my Notes app is present and ALL of my notes are present and accounted for.
    08-01-2015 01:43 PM
    All of my notes have vanished as well. I have never had them ON or attached to any email accounts or pushed to icloud. The default account for notes has always been "on my iphone." I do have the gmail app, but never had my notes attached in any way (no notes folder). I have restarted and nothing has magically reappeared. I wasn't playing with any settings and hadn't installed any new apps, they all were just gone when I went to pull up a list one afternoon.

I have the demo of iExplorer so I can read all of my notes from my past iPhone backups, so I suppose I COULD retype everything in but these things go back to 2011. Also I've done enough on my phone recently that installing from a backup would get rid of new pics/messages/etc.

If anyone in the same boat has come up with a solution, I'd love to hear it!

ETA: just had a lightbulb moment. I airdropped all of my older notes from my last iPhone to the newer one, not a perfect fix but now I have my 2011 notes back!
    Last edited by sjmei; 08-28-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    08-28-2015 01:08 PM
    All of my notes have vanished as well. I have never had them ON or attached to any email accounts or pushed to icloud. The default account for notes has always been "on my iphone." I do have the gmail app, but never had my notes attached in any way (no notes folder). I have restarted and nothing has magically reappeared. I wasn't playing with any settings and hadn't installed any new apps, they all were just gone when I went to pull up a list one afternoon.

I have the demo of iExplorer so I can read all of my notes from my past iPhone backups, so I suppose I COULD retype everything in but these things go back to 2011. Also I've done enough on my phone recently that installing from a backup would get rid of new pics/messages/etc.

If anyone in the same boat has come up with a solution, I'd love to hear it!

ETA: just had a lightbulb moment. I airdropped all of my older notes from my last iPhone to the newer one, not a perfect fix but now I have my 2011 notes back!
    Notes simply DO NOT vanish, unless you delete them. If you do not see them in the Notes app, then they synced to either iCloud or an email account like Gmail. They may be in a mail Notes folder. Toggle Notes OFF in Settings for mail. Then check your mail Notes folder. If they are not there or in iCloud, then they probably got deleted in Mail. It happens because many see it in Mail but don't know what it is and delete it.
    08-28-2015 03:27 PM
    i have been using notes for years since the first iphone, they have always been connected to my gmail. and the computer always used to notify me when i synced the iphone with it if there was a decrepancy in notes with an older note on the computer (and in gmail). it stopped doing this a while ago. and now many of my notes have dissapeared from my phone and from gmail. only some remain. but all of the oldest and the newest are gone? how can i find them again? surely if i am positive they were all in my gmail then they should still be there? i couldnt have deleted only some?
    is it possible this has come about because i also added an icloud account to my notes? i have looked in there but my missing notes arent there only the newest notes i have written are in there..
    I dont understand how even older versions of my notes could have gone from gmail as well..
    08-31-2015 05:38 PM
    i have been using notes for years since the first iphone, they have always been connected to my gmail. and the computer always used to notify me when i synced the iphone with it if there was a decrepancy in notes with an older note on the computer (and in gmail). it stopped doing this a while ago. and now many of my notes have dissapeared from my phone and from gmail. only some remain. but all of the oldest and the newest are gone? how can i find them again? surely if i am positive they were all in my gmail then they should still be there? i couldnt have deleted only some?
    is it possible this has come about because i also added an icloud account to my notes? i have looked in there but my missing notes arent there only the newest notes i have written are in there..
    I dont understand how even older versions of my notes could have gone from gmail as well..
    Adding an iCloud account will have no effect on your Google-related data. Anyway, when you initiate the native Notes app on your iPhone, you should be able to see your notes separated by account.
    08-31-2015 06:32 PM
    Are Notes turned on or off for Gmail in Settings? If they are turned on, you won't see the Notes folder in Mail. Toggle Notes OFF in Gmail, then check your notes folder in Mail. If the Notes are not in the Notes app as D' suggests, and not in the mail Notes folder, then they may have been deleted. From now on, only toggle Notes on for iCloud. Gmail off. No confusion that way and the Notes will be in iCloud.
    08-31-2015 07:07 PM
    ive tried toggling the notes on and off for gmail. and when its on, some of the old notes do appear but soooo many do not. and when i search some of the titles of my notes in my gmail (in all mail) some of my notes are there in some other kind of form, kinda like an email but not from anyone, not labeled as a note or in the notes folder. but still most of my old notes are not there. would it be gmail has deleted some of them randomly?
    09-02-2015 01:05 AM
    Hi,

I've just updated to iOS 9 and my notes weren't there anymore upon the reboot of my phone. As I have a good amount of important data stored on there I'd like to know how to get them back. I've checked out the notes section in settings and there's nothing there that can help me. Also, when I synced my phone with my computer the notes still did not appear. Does anyone know how to help?

Thanks
    09-21-2015 10:08 PM
    My notes have SIMPLY vanished
    I did NOTHING to make this happen and I have lost all my notes since 2013.

I have read all the responses in this thread and if this GLITCH has happened to you, there's nothing anyone in this thread has said that will bring your notes back.

Reading the comments where someone was claiming this wasn't possible SIMPLY infuriated me and I HAD to make an account for this website I am going to VANISH from because I only happened upon it while googling WHY did my notes DISAPPEAR for no user related reason WHATSOEVER

HAVE A NICE DAY #NOSHAME
    10-07-2015 12:34 AM
    Last thing: the only way to view your old notes is to go to your email account on their WEBSITE not on your phone APP and then they are in the notes folder I didn't even know existed. However they have simply vanished from your phone and I would recommend buying a paper and pen journal #soannoyed
    10-07-2015 12:43 AM
    THIS ^^^^^^

I made a new account just to thank you!!
    12-06-2015 09:16 PM
    I was reading a note--phone on the desk...bam! Phone flashed and they're gone. I wasn't even touching the damn thing! I've tried everything...says '0' notes. Yay
    12-08-2015 01:15 PM
    3 years of business contacts,pay information, tool inventories and much more just gone. You can say it never deletes itself but evidenced by all those above and me? Your simply misinformed. Yes I should have backed it up. I will definitely be checking out the competition to see if you have to do that on their products. If this was happened by some action I performed that's one thing but if it's a known issue by Apple that's a very different story.
    12-09-2015 05:34 PM
    To not have issues with notes, in Settings, toggle Notes OFF for email accounts, including Gmail. Toggle Notes on for iCloud. No more problems and your notes get backed up to iCloud.
    12-09-2015 05:38 PM
    Your notes could not have just vanished for no reason. Was your notes app synced to any email account at all? Not Gmail? Do you have other accounts? Yahoo, Outlook? Are Notes turned on for iCloud?
    I read this entire thread, and became more and more frustrated as I reached the end. There IS a problem. It just DOESN'T happen to everyone. So, while we very much appreciate your efforts to help, and will be trying your recommendations, please stop telling us it can't happen. It can. Otherwise, it's like you telling someone "You can't break your leg playing basketball. It's never happened to me, both of my legs are fine, so it can't possibly happen to you."

• I was reading one of my 85 notes, then dimmed the screen with the top button on the phone.
    • Pressed home button and swiped right to access phone again.
    • Note was no longer open. Notes app was displaying the list of my notes, but the one I had been reading wasn't there.
    • Pulled the list down to access search box, entered name of note, and it appeared as the result.
    • Opened it, read more of it, dimmed screen with top button on phone.
    • App was displaying list of notes again, and the one I had been reading was gone - again.
    • Searched for it. No results.
    • Searched for words that were only in that note. No results.

The note is GONE. It has disappeared. POOF!

Like other people, my notes were never linked to an email account or iCloud. They were just "on my iphone." Stupid, yes.

I just wanted you to know that this DOES happen. I just hasn't happed to you. Yet.

Thank you for attempting to help us. It is appreciated.
    12-27-2015 09:17 AM
    I read this entire thread, and became more and more frustrated as I reached the end. There IS a problem. It just DOESN'T happen to everyone. So, while we very much appreciate your efforts to help, and will be trying your recommendations, please stop telling us it can't happen. It can. Otherwise, it's like you telling someone "You can't break your leg playing basketball. It's never happened to me, both of my legs are fine, so it can't possibly happen to you."

• I was reading one of my 85 notes, then dimmed the screen with the top button on the phone.
    • Note was no longer open. Notes app was displaying the list of my notes, but the one I had been reading wasn't there.
    • Pulled the list down to access search box, entered name of note, and it appeared as the result.
    • Opened it, read more of it, dimmed screen with top button on phone.
    • App was displaying list of notes again, and the one I had been reading was gone - again.
    • Searched for it. No results.
    • Searched for words that were only in that note. No results.

The note is GONE. It has disappeared. POOF! Yet the other 84 remain.

Like other people, my notes were never linked to an email account or iCloud. They were just "on my iphone." Stupid, yes. I take full responsibility for not having them backed up.

I just wanted you to know that this DOES happen. I just hasn't happened to you - yet.

Thank you for attempting to help us. It is appreciated.
    Once was enough. And I stand by what I said. If it's gone, it most likely got deleted by accident.
    12-27-2015 05:10 PM
    Half of my notes went missing as well, not all but the recent one year went missing. Have never sync my iphone 5s but i believe the lack of memory space on my phone is causing these problems. Anyone figured a way to solve this?
    01-31-2016 07:30 AM
    Half of my notes went missing as well, not all but the recent one year went missing. Have never sync my iphone 5s but i believe the lack of memory space on my phone is causing these problems. Anyone figured a way to solve this?
    The only thing I know to do is check all the email Notes folders in the Mail app. If you don't see a Notes folder, go to Settings >Mail,Contacts and Calendar > email account > Toggle Notes OFF > then go check the folder in Mail.
    01-31-2016 08:59 AM
    You who suppose that the user MUST have done something wrong are useless to this forum. I too had this problem with my iPhone 6S. I have been using an iPhone for 5 years and it just recently happened. A lot of steps would have to be taken to purposely delete all of my notes. It is, in fact, a glitch. If you don't have firsthand knowledge about such things, stop supposing and making accusations about a user's experience. Just move on to another question that you actually know something about.
    Last edited by grnmtnbuckeye; 03-09-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    03-09-2016 10:02 AM
    I've had the same problem that so many others have had. I had about 40 notes in my iPhone6 NOTES app. I haven't used it in several days and when I opened the app today there were only 5 notes in my ACCOUNTS > On my phone folder. I haven't updated, added or deleted anything, my notes are not synced with anything else (including iCloud) nor have I opened NOTES, opened a particular note, trashed it and repeated those steps at least 45 times.
    After reading all the entries in this thread it seems my only hope is that they will magically reappear (as they did once before.)
    (BTW, I've had the same thing happen in my REMINDERS app - doctors' and other appointments (which I save by date) were jumbled or had just disappeared only to reappear - and in order - a few days later.) UGH! Ain't technology grand?!!
    04-27-2016 04:04 AM
84 1234