Apple TV Error Message

I

iMore Question

Dear Ritchie

I have been using Apple TV for over one year. I used Netflix and have at least one to two errors per viewing. i do the settings/general/restart each time and it works but what a pain. You said to contact you if it happens alot. It does. Also, now my Netflix search doesn't pull up anything in the search section when you type in what you are looking for. I suppose that is a Netflix issue so I will contact them.

Anything you can suggest to eliminate or minimize this error, thank you for helping me with.

Judi/

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Are you getting an error message? And if so what does it say? Can you give us some more details?

EDIT: ok I found a blog from Rene Ritchie that you might have read that refers to your problem...

http://www.imore.com/getting-dreade...content-bug-apple-tv-netflix-heres-how-fix-it

I think the issue might also have to do with your network bandwidth. Are you getting a good connection to the Apple TV? Do you have it connected via wifi or via a network cable (can you connect Apple TV's via a cable?). What speed is your internet connection? And are you getting a good signal to the Apple TV? That might be a good place to check.

Last edited:

Elite1

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
As per some of Rich's questions right above me, the problem is often related to bandwidth.

Have you set your default resolution to HD on the Netflix website? Nothing wrong with doing so, but it means that your home internet plan must be sufficient. IIRC Netflix "requires" a minimum download speed of 8-10Mbps for HD streaming. To realize this you probably need an internet plan somewhere around 25Mbps. 15-20Mbps minimum.

You've tried software resets of Apple TV, so time to try a hard reset of everything. Unplug Apple TV, then unplug your router, then unplug your modem. Wait a minute, then plug in your modem. Once modem is fully restarted, plug in your router. Once your router is fully restarted, plug in Apple TV.

Does that make anything better, even for a while?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Every now and then when Netflix on my 3rd gen Apple TV starts acting up, I pull the plug on the device for about 20 seconds and plug it back in. It seems to cure whatever the issues are for a bit. I'm not sure though, if there's any difference between pulling the plug, or just doing a reset on device, but from my observation pulling the plug seems to work more often than not.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
What version of the firmware are you on? Have you updated recently? How's your internet connection? I've never had this issue.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Dear Ritchie

I have been using Apple TV for over one year. I used Netflix and have at least one to two errors per viewing. i do the settings/general/restart each time and it works but what a pain. You said to contact you if it happens alot. It does. Also, now my Netflix search doesn't pull up anything in the search section when you type in what you are looking for. I suppose that is a Netflix issue so I will contact them.

Anything you can suggest to eliminate or minimize this error, thank you for helping me with.

Judi/

Are you getting an error message? And if so what does it say? Can you give us some more details?

EDIT: ok I found a blog from Rene Ritchie that you might have read that refers to your problem...

Netflix on Apple TV throwing up the dreaded 'An error occurred loading this content'? Here's how to fix it! | iMore

I think the issue might also have to do with your network bandwidth. Are you getting a good connection to the Apple TV? Do you have it connected via wifi or via a network cable (can you connect Apple TV's via a cable?). What speed is your internet connection? And are you getting a good signal to the Apple TV? That might be a good place to check.

As per some of Rich's questions right above me, the problem is often related to bandwidth.

Have you set your default resolution to HD on the Netflix website? Nothing wrong with doing so, but it means that your home internet plan must be sufficient. IIRC Netflix "requires" a minimum download speed of 8-10Mbps for HD streaming. To realize this you probably need an internet plan somewhere around 25Mbps. 15-20Mbps minimum.

You've tried software resets of Apple TV, so time to try a hard reset of everything. Unplug Apple TV, then unplug your router, then unplug your modem. Wait a minute, then plug in your modem. Once modem is fully restarted, plug in your router. Once your router is fully restarted, plug in Apple TV.

Does that make anything better, even for a while?

To the OP who started this thread. I am including the reply from Elite 1 because his answer is spot on as well actually as all of them.

This goes back to doing the same thing when you have internet trouble and lose the signal you do exactly what was suggested and the only difference here is the Apple T^V.

Can you let us know if this helped please.

Also please contact Netflix to find out what hey might say on the support end and check your latest software update which was another piece of advice. I have a feeling you will make out ok on this one but we would like to know please. Thank you for asking and Welcome to iMore. Consider joining us. :)