Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Which non-iPhone phone works best with Apple devices?

Hey All,

I'm a Mac user..... iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad Air and an iPhone 4. This old phone is really problematic and I have to buy a new phone. However I can't buy an iPhone because of my budget and the simple fact that for phoning itself I never liked the iPhone. (In my family there is an iPhone 5 and 5s also which are also problematic in terms of phoning...). So since I have the iPad Air I never even opened any app on my iPhone, I only use messages, email and the calling part. So because of these things I'm looking to buy a non-iPhone phone, but as I use countless Apple devices I'd like to pick one which plays nicely with Apple products.... So basically I need one with which I can sync contacts, calendar, notes in my iCloud....

I don't like the Android style, but really like the new Windows 8.1, and Blackberry z10 seems great also. Could you share your experiences on these two distinctive approaches how they fit the Apple world?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Which non-iPhone phone works best with Apple devices?

iPhones are the only phones that can sync with iCloud.
    iMore Intermediate

100 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I am iOS on devices all the way but I use mostly google services for email, contacts, and my calendars . Like iOS Gravity said, your out of luck with anything other than Apple for iCloud. Just out of curiosity, what "phoning" problems are you having with Apple devices?
    iMore Nanite

8 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,623 Global Posts

I don't think that anything can sync with iCloud, but there is an option to add an iCloud account under the email in Windows Phone 8.1. Since you've narrowed it down to "Not Android or iOS", I would have to recommend Windows Phone since there are at least some apps that sync to Macs, but I think that BB Link is Windows only.
    iMore Nanite

4 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I have both an iphone and a windows phone (Developer Preview 8.1). You can easily sync email, contacts and calendar between this phone and your icloud account. There is not a iCloud app baked into WP at this point. If you have a mac (as I do) there is an app (called Windows Phone) that will sync music and photos between the phone and iTunes on the mac. It actually works better (IMHO) than the similar apps on Windows. There are some others here that use WP with the Apple ecosystem and they may have a better solution for syncing with icloud.

In all fairness, the syncing between an iphone and icloud and iTunes without having to think about it is something you will give up. You might want to give this a trial to make sure it is right for you. It works for me because I use OneDrive more than iCloud. It also helps that I am a geek and a (actually more than one) Windows PC.