iphone 5s iOS 8 beta 1 touch screen crashing

I

iMore Question

is anyone facing problems with the touch screen? i just updated my iPhone to iOS 8 beta 1 and one i start any application or settings the phone crashes and the touch screen becomes uncalibrated only half of the screen works and it is way off. when i restart the phone it works perfectly, however if i open any app it crashes and the issue happens again.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having any issues with crashing or resprings. You may want to wipe your device & reinstall to see if that works for you. Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done. Betas are risky!! Good Luck

kalanhowse

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Add me to one of those bugged devices... You can't restore it/go from a backup because it requires you to turn off "find my device" and with the screen bugged WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING. This is one of the most frustrating bugs I've every experienced.

kalanhowse

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Was the installation screen on the device also short? Mine was only 3-4 steps asking me hardly any of the usual questions/steps to complete.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've seen lots of these reports, you can either try restoring as new each time until it works or downgrade to iOS 7.1.1

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Themann87

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Legmar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
More information about this touch screen but in iOS 8 Beta 1...

This is also a problem on my iPhone 4S. I updated my 4S to iOS 8 beta 1, and I have the following issues:

- the touch screen becomes uncalibrated
- only the left half of the screen responds to touch events
- the left half of the screen "references" the right half of the screen (e.g. touching the left hand side of the screen fires a tap event on an element on the right hand size of the screen)
- I also noticed that when I restart the phone, the touch screen works until I open an app
- the left vs. right designations above are used in reference to a vertical phone orientation. Using the phone in landscape mode does not change which side of the phone's screen is unresponsive.

This is unfortunate - I've never installed an iOS beta that was so buggy it was unusable. :( I sure hope Beta 2 comes out in less than two weeks!

Legmar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I found a solution (at least one that worked for my iOS 8 Beta 1 install on my iPhone 4S).

1. Restart iPhone
2. Before launching any apps, the touch screen still works.
3. Ask Siri to Turn off Zoom. She will provide a link that opens the Accessibility options in Settings. Tap on the link Siri provides.
4. Manually disable the toggle to turn OFF Zoom.

This seemed to immediately fix the issue where I was seeing a half working and miscalibrated touch screen. I restarted my iPhone to ensure the fix persisted. At least for me, this got iOS 8 working on my iPhone without having to perform a restore! Hope this helps someone else! :)

I'd be curious to know too if anyone saw this problem and did not have Zoom enabled?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
is anyone facing problems with the touch screen? i just updated my iPhone to iOS 8 beta 1 and one i start any application or settings the phone crashes and the touch screen becomes uncalibrated only half of the screen works and it is way off. when i restart the phone it works perfectly, however if i open any app it crashes and the issue happens again.

No, not me. Have you tried rebooting to see if it fixes itself?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having any issues with crashing or resprings. You may want to wipe your device & reinstall to see if that works for you. Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done. Betas are risky!! Good Luck

Same here, Nikki. So far - so good...:)

Simon Tomberlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issues with the touch screen uncalibrated. Just keep trying to restart it/hard reset and it eventually just calibrated. This has happened 2 different times.

al1454

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue and resolved it simply by turning off the "Zoom" function in the Accessibility menu.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR