Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Should I upgrade to a Fusion Drive?

I am about to buy a new iMac (21.5) but am unsure whether to have it configured with a fusion drive or just leave the drive as is. I have just about decided that I would benefit from a memory upgrade, so I'm leaning towards 16GB there. I'm just not sure if my usage would see a significant benefit from the fusion drive or not. I am not tech-savvy, so most of the articles I've read just confuse me, as they are too technical and don't address actual usage of apps, etc. I do not do any heavy-duty photo- or video editing, but I do have a large iTunes library, watch a lot of videos, and have a large photo collection. Other than that, I would be doing quite a lot of word processing and spending a lot of time on the internet. I do tend to keep multiple tabs open while working or using different apps. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade to Fusion Drive?

If you can swing the money and it's an available option I'd go with a pure SSD rather than the fusion drive (which combines a small SSD with a more standard spinning hard drive). Otherwise, the fusion drive is a worthwhile update. The iMac will tart up and shutdown much faster and in General seem quicker because the OS and frequently accessed programs and/or media will be kept on the faster SSD portion of the fusion drive (in the background. Nothing you would need to do to have this happen).
    iMore Elite

2,654 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,865 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade to Fusion Drive?

I think the RAM upgrade and a pure SSD would do more for your usage than the fusion drive
    iMore Guru

1,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts

Default Re: Should I upgrade to a Fusion Drive?

You should go for a full ssd if you can afford it. Otherwise, the fusion drive would be a wise upgrade. You'll get more speed out of either option. Good luck with your purchase!