Should I upgrade to a Fusion Drive?

I

iMore Question

I am about to buy a new iMac (21.5) but am unsure whether to have it configured with a fusion drive or just leave the drive as is. I have just about decided that I would benefit from a memory upgrade, so I'm leaning towards 16GB there. I'm just not sure if my usage would see a significant benefit from the fusion drive or not. I am not tech-savvy, so most of the articles I've read just confuse me, as they are too technical and don't address actual usage of apps, etc. I do not do any heavy-duty photo- or video editing, but I do have a large iTunes library, watch a lot of videos, and have a large photo collection. Other than that, I would be doing quite a lot of word processing and spending a lot of time on the internet. I do tend to keep multiple tabs open while working or using different apps. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to Fusion Drive?

I think the RAM upgrade and a pure SSD would do more for your usage than the fusion drive

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You should go for a full ssd if you can afford it. Otherwise, the fusion drive would be a wise upgrade. You'll get more speed out of either option. Good luck with your purchase!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods