What is the advantage of Macbooks now that the Surface Pro 3 exists?

I

iMore Question

So I normally don't post here, but something happened to me today that made me want to ask this question. I was sitting at a computer in my school's library and I was double checking a spec on the Surface Pro 3 that I just ordered when some Apple guy came up behind me and was telling me how stupid and junky it was. When I asked him why, he just simply said "because it's not an apple".

Now clearly this guy was just trolling or something, but I started to think about what advantages did Macs really have now? In the past, most of the people who actually own Macs have been telling me "it's not just about specs, it's about support and quality of the machine", which while I disagree with the claim (I have no Apple store around me, so the fact that they fix them means nothing to me), I could see that potentially being true for someone near a store.

Well, now that the Surface Pro 3 has been unveiled, I'm curious as to why Apple fans still claim to prefer their MacBook. It's hard to argue that the Surface Pro 3 isn't an amazing looking device and Microsoft's support is the best I've ever seen. Seriously, when my dad's acted up, they sent him a brand new one and he just had to ship his old one back in a box. That's awesome. So without the "pretty" factor and since the support argument is gone, what's the real advantage of owning a Mac besides obvious things like OS preference and more "lapability" (the SP3 is fine on the lap, according to most reviews, but I rarely use a computer on my lap, so that's not a big deal).

I'm not sure why Apple doesn't create their own hybrid (I'm sure they will) because if I liked OS X, then having an iPad that transforms into a Mac when you put in a dock would be a must buy for me.

TL;DR what is the advantage of a MacBook for the average person who just wants a high-end computer that just works?

Jas00555

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
That's weird. I was logged into iMore, but I apparently was signed out for some reason. Anyways.... sorry guys, the OP was from me.

Also, keep in mind that if I disagree with you, I'm not trying to come off as a blind fanboy or something, I just don't really know that many people with Apple computers so I don't fully understand the advantage.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The surface Pro 3 does look a lot better than its predecessor. As someone who has had to use Windows 8 (fortunately not at home), I would rather chew my left arm off than spend my own money purchasing a device that came with that particular OS.

the Surface 3 isn't really a laptop, neither is it a tablet, it's arguably the best and worst of both all rolled into one.

If I was going to buy another laptop on the windows ecosystem, I'd rather pay for a barebones Laptop and put a copy of windows 7 on it. I reckon I could get a laptop that does everything the Surface could, performance-wise, for a fraction of the cost.

For the record, I don't have a recent MacBook either, although I will consider one if the Air goes retina. I have an ancient MacBook Pro that coughs and splutters that I frankly haven't switched on for over a year, seven windows PC/laptops and a Linux server instead.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Depending on one's wants and needs, there may not be an advantage at all. Keep in mind that the decision to choose a MacBook is based on preference and nothing more. Some may simply like it better but can't explain why. The thing is this, I'm just grateful there's something for almost everyone, whether it be a Mac or something else.

Jas00555

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Depending on one's wants and needs, there may not be an advantage at all. Keep in mind that the decision to choose a MacBook is based on preference and nothing more. Some may simply like it better but can't explain why. The thing is this, I'm just grateful there's something for almost everyone, whether it be a Mac or something else.

I agree. Most of the time though, I hear Mac fans talk about the support that Apple gives being the best, so that's why they pay the premium for it. I was just curious why people here choose Macs. Is it just mainly software preference?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Most of the time though, I hear Mac fans talk about the support that Apple gives being the best, so that's why they pay the premium for it. I was just curious why people here choose Macs. Is it just mainly software preference?

I'd say both. Personally speaking, I changed to a Mac about 5 years ago after having been a longtime Windows user who dabbled with almost all distributions of Linux at one time or another. I was merely curious and wanted to know what the attraction was, especially to the white MacBook at the time. After buying one, I almost took it back for a refund because Windows was so ingrained in me and OS X seemed awkward and senseless. Yet, I told myself to stick with it and it didn't take long before I realized its simplicity, power, stability and outstanding product support. At this stage, it's straight-up preference in my regard.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me it's the operating system first and foremost. I switched to mac 4 years ago and love it. I prefer the stability and ease of a Mac. Now the fact that it's pretty too- well that's just a bonus.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I use both. I use a Mac air at home because most of my usage is media. TV shows movies and music. Browsing the web and some games. I like the portability of the air along with the awesome battery life.

For work I use a windows tower and a windows 8.1 tablet along with a work iPhone and iPad.

For me personally I really like the surface. I think it looks great. My issue is the operating System. I wish if your going to update the os they should do it gradually. The tablet to me is more of a test than everyday usage. For business purposes it's going to take a long time to get everything up and running on windows 8.

In my world there will always be room for both.