What is better for a trip to the US - iPad or Macbook Air?

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

in two weeks my girlfriend and I will travel to the US for three weeks. We are planning our trips and different reminders, notes etc with evernote which is synced to her 32GB iPad 3 Wifi with offline capability in evernote. So the plan was to bring that and be able to look things up on the road etc. Navigon software for navigation runs on my iPhone.

We have a Canon Bridge Camera with 32GB SD Card and I really want a reliable way to make sure all of our photos come back safe to germany - this is the greatest, most expensive and most desired vacation of our lives yet. :)

So if we bring the iPad, we could save the photos via camera connection kit. What already concerns me is to manually tap on every photo within the CCK picker... The photos should stay on the SD card as well as long we don't run into storage problems - can't really say if 32GB will be enough or not.

In addition I thought into uploading the photos to dropbox or onedrive when we have wifi in our various Inns and Motels. Do you have any experience how fast the wifi at average motels is? Except for LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas and SF we mostly stay at non-urban areas in California, Arizona, Nevada. Would this be an option to store them off-site?

Sometimes I think, it would me much less of a hassle to just bring my 13" MBA to do all these tasks. It could run evernote, empty the SC Card, eventually upload to the cloud. But its not as light and easy to handle on the road, for example. At times where we are on the road or hiking, all of the equipment must come with us in our bags if it's not supposed to melt in the parked car :)

What do you think, what would you do? Do you have any experience?

Thank you so much!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what you're describing, the iPad should be sufficient, but personally, I'd take the MacBook. Anyway, the Wi-Fi speed in my experience at various hotel and non-hotel hotspots have been speedy, however, I recommend that you use a VPN connection, just in case.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I always take my 64Gb iPad with me with the camera connection kit when I go to the USA. I've found it to be perfect for my uses as my girlfriend is an amateur photographer and she takes hundreds of photos each day in huge resolution (therefore a large file size). I've been able to store thousands and thousands on my iPad. I usually go out to the States for months at a time and have never had an issue with the iPad.

I'm sure I didn't tap on each photo to import them; i'm sure it was a much easier and quicker process than that.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I didn't tap on each photo to import them; i'm sure it was a much easier and quicker process than that.

I was asking myself if it would only import the new (not imported earlier) photos if you tap on import all. I plan not to erase them on the sd card to have some redundancy.

Does anybody know if it does this? Or does it import all, even already imported photos?

Your postings make me lean more to the iPad - thank you two!

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
my research got me to this site. The iPad as a Photographer's Travel Helper [a Review] - Digital Photography School

Plug your gear together and the iPad will do the heavy lifting for you — the images get imported into the iPad’s Photos app, and the device handles duplicates intelligently (i.e., if you connect the same card / camera to the iPad multiple times without erasing the card’s memory in between, it’ll let you choose whether or not to import images it thinks are duplicates).

that sounds promising!

Drewbs

May 21, 2014
Visit site
MBA would probably be better for the camera you have to upload pics but i find Evernote very easy to use on my iPad

Sent from my iPod touch using iMore Forums

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I know it might be better. The question is if the iPad would be good enough... I come to think it will be.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2