Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Need Help iCloud Won't Back Up - Keeps Going for two days

I am a parent who is trying to get my whole family on icloud backup. I know that it's supposed to backup every night. But my son's iPhone 4 has spent the last two days trying to back up at zero percent. He has it on a power cord, it is locked, and it is connected to a high speed cable wireless internet. The location of the phone does not help change the backup.

today I restarted his phone, deleted icloud, turned it back on again, and tried performing a backup. this time it did the backup in about 20 minutes. the file size is 776 mb. My daughter's backup is 335 mb, and hers only takes 6 minutes. And it works every day.

My son and my daughter both use iOS 7.1. My son has an iPhone 4 and my daughter has an iPhone 5.

Any idea on how I can get this iCloud backup to keep working on a daily basis? I can't find any real answers for this problem anywhere on the internet, so I'm really frustrated!

Also, is there any way to change the time it backs up? My son stays up late and he normally is on his phone until 1-2 am.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,189 Global Posts

Default Re: Need Help iCloud Won't Back Up - Keeps Going for two days

Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    I am a parent who is trying to get my whole family on icloud backup. I know that it's supposed to backup every night. But my son's iPhone 4 has spent the last two days trying to back up at zero percent. He has it on a power cord, it is locked, and it is connected to a high speed cable wireless internet. The location of the phone does not help change the backup.

today I restarted his phone, deleted icloud, turned it back on again, and tried performing a backup. this time it did the backup in about 20 minutes. the file size is 776 mb. My daughter's backup is 335 mb, and hers only takes 6 minutes. And it works every day.

My son and my daughter both use iOS 7.1. My son has an iPhone 4 and my daughter has an iPhone 5.

Any idea on how I can get this iCloud backup to keep working on a daily basis? I can't find any real answers for this problem anywhere on the internet, so I'm really frustrated!

Also, is there any way to change the time it backs up? My son stays up late and he normally is on his phone until 1-2 am.
    Is your iCloud storage full? To check, go to settings>general>usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It seems like the reboot may have solved your issue if the phone not backing up. Give it a week or so to see what happens. As far as your son's back up taking longer, it could be that he has a lot more content on his phone & the type of content takes longer to backup. I wouldn't really worry about that. My phone usually takes about 20 minutes to backup. You can also change the settings so your son can just manually back his phone up, I'm not aware that you can adjust the time.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    Is your iCloud storage full? To check, go to settings>general>usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No, the thing still has 2.9 GB of storage left.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts

The only way to speed up the time it takes at backup is either backup less stuff or get a faster upload speed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

You need separate iCloud accounts for each device. Use the same iTunes Apple ID for all the devices, but use a different iCloud Apple ID for each device. That way each device gets 5 gb storage free. If you all share an iCloud account, then you share 5 gb of storage. Sharing an iCloud account causes problems.

Sent from from my iPhone 5