Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Jailbreaking without knowing ios version

Can I try jailbreaking my iphone 4s without knowing which version of ios it is running? I bought an iphone off ebay and have taken it apart, fixed it and put it back together again. I cant get into it though because I dont know what network it is on and my when I put my giffgaff sim in it it just says that its an invalid sim. I do want to jailbreak the phone and open it to any network though. Any help would be much appriciated.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

Default Re: Jailbreaking without knowing ios version

Go into settings-general-about and it will tell you what iOS you're on
    iMore Nanite

I can't into the phone apps! It won't start/load because I don't have a valid sim card! So I can't get into the settings otherwise I would've done that.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

Default Jailbreaking without knowing ios version

Then there is no way to know which jb software to use without knowing the iOS. Plus, jb'ing your device still WON'T help you with your issue. U need an unlock, NOT a jb
    iMore Nanite

Can I unlock it? How is this done?
    iMore Nanite

I thought by jailbreaking the iphone it would unlock it?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesaffa View Post
    I thought by jailbreaking the iphone it would unlock it?
    Hi and welcome to iMore.

No a jailbreak will not unlock a sim/carrier locked device.

When you bought it off eBay, did the seller say which carrier the phone was locked to? If it was advertised as unlocked and you find this subsequently not to be the case then I would contact the seller, eBay (and PayPal if used) and file a dispute that the item was not sold as advertised.

I have to admit that i've never had trouble opening and using a device without a valid sim card installed.
    iMore Nanite

No he didn't advertise that it was unlocked or know what network it was on. I bought it very cheap in the hopes that I could fix it, jailbreak it then sell it for a profit. I've fixed the phone, replaced front screen and back cover, and now I want to jailbreak it. When I start the phone it loads then goes into start up menu. I select English UK then say I'm living in UK, then I chose my home network which it finds. Next it tells me that my sim is invalid and to insert a valued sim and I can't get past this screen. I've tried using the tricks on YouTube, dialing 112 then turning off phone and back on in the hopes that it goes into contracts but that doesn't work. Is there a way to get past the invalid sim screen, please?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

No. You need to know what carrier, iOS to unlock the device.
    iMore Nanite

There is a YouTube clip by a guy called Nos I think. He installes a programme on his pc then hooks his iPhone up and that bypasses the sim activation and all the rest. Do you think this is fake or worth a go? I've got no idea what to do next and I've sunk over 50 into this phone in the hopes of fixing it!
    iMore Nanite

So after much internet browsing I found a program called iExplorer which tells me that i have a softwear version of 7.1.1 and in the ebay sales description it says that the phone is locked to EE. Can anyone help me from here please? How do I unlock my phone and jailbreak it?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesaffa View Post
    So after much internet browsing I found a program called iExplorer which tells me that i have a softwear version of 7.1.1 and in the ebay sales description it says that the phone is locked to EE. Can anyone help me from here please? How do I unlock my phone and jailbreak it?

7.1.1 cannot be jail broken and I serious doubt it has 7.1.1 since 7.1 just was really recently. You'll need to purchase an unlock online to fix your issue
    iMore Nanite

Stupidly I connected it to iTunes and restored it which loaded 7.1.1 I'm new to all this and learning as I go, the hard way by the looks of this! How long do you think it will be before 7.1.1 can be jailbroken?
    iMore Nanite

Also if I try downgrade it to 7.0.4 I get error message 3194 and no matter how I change my host file it won't let me downgrade! It's not been my day! haha
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts

You can't downgrade, so don't try. At best nothing will happen and at worst you will brick your phone. As has been stated, no JB for 7.1.1. exists yet and no rumblings from the JB devs that a JB is coming any time soon.

If it's locked to EE then I would suggest calling them and asking them to unlock it by giving them the IMEI number. Although you shouldn't, you might need to explain that you bought it on eBay and it's locked and you need it unlocked as you aren't the original owner.

EE are pretty reasonable, all things considered.

I have no idea if the program you mention that you can download will do this for you. maybe someone else has experience.
    iMore Nanite

Well I did manage to downgrade after many tries and much frustration I got down to 7.1 although this hasn't really helped as I still get the message that my device is unsupported when I connect in dfu mode to hactivate. I'll get there eventually though, the Internet konws Howland I just have to find it. haha
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

If u find it share with everyone as a jb for 7.1 doesn't exist