iphone 4S - after latest OS update, can't restore backup

I

iMore Question

My daughter's 4s iphone has had problems with charging, losing the ability to text, etc. and the recommended solution was to reset the phone. Last night she mistakenly reset to factory settings. After the OS was installed we started walking through the steps from the Hello screen. When we get to the step where it asks if we want to continue as a new iphone or restore from backup, we start the backup process but it stops and says there's not enough space to restore to.

It looks like her data is still there but it seems there's no way to get past this point unless we continue as a new iphone? If we do that, can we then restore from the backup and recover her data...or are we out of luck?

Trying to avoid tears.

Thanks for any help anone can can provide!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
When you say you reset to factory settings in assuming you did this in your phone settings so you didn't really wipe your phone

What you need to do is connect it to your computer and do a complete restore from thru iTunes

Sernion

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
yes, she reset from the settings and we know the data is there because we could copy her movies off and then delete them from the phone to install the new iOS. The problem is trying to restore from itunes via the computer. When we try to do the backup restore, it says there's not enough space but now we can't seem to access the data to make space.

So we're stuck. Do you know if we can go through the new iphone setup to finish and get out of the setup screens and then do a backup restore from that point?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
yes, she reset from the settings and we know the data is there because we could copy her movies off and then delete them from the phone to install the new iOS. The problem is trying to restore from itunes via the computer. When we try to do the backup restore, it says there's not enough space but now we can't seem to access the data to make space.

So we're stuck. Do you know if we can go through the new iphone setup to finish and get out of the setup screens and then do a backup restore from that point?

Once you go though all the setup screens on the phone you should be back to the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My daughter's 4s iphone has had problems with charging, losing the ability to text, etc. and the recommended solution was to reset the phone. Last night she mistakenly reset to factory settings. After the OS was installed we started walking through the steps from the Hello screen. When we get to the step where it asks if we want to continue as a new iphone or restore from backup, we start the backup process but it stops and says there's not enough space to restore to.

It looks like her data is still there but it seems there's no way to get past this point unless we continue as a new iphone? If we do that, can we then restore from the backup and recover her data...or are we out of luck?

Trying to avoid tears.

Thanks for any help anone can can provide!

Since she did the reset via her device, I am assuming she's trying to restore from an iCloud backup. In any case, she *should* be able to restore from the last backup that was made with the device. Having said that, AND assuming that the backup she's trying to restore is not corrupted, she should put her device in DFU mode, connect it to her computer and initiate the iTunes app on the computer. Make sure the computer has internet access. When iTunes detects the phone in recovery, select to restore and update it. When the process is complete, she will be again go through the setup phase. Personally, I recommend she set it up as a new device to keep from reinstalling something that was causing the problems she was having in the first place. Anyway, she can choose to restore from her iCloud or iTunes back, if applicable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2