How can I get iMessages only sent to my phone?

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So I made the mistake of leaving myself signed in on my iPad mini back at my parents house and I'm pretty sure my dad is reading my iMessages, kind of embarrassing actually. Is there a way that I can unsync the iPad from here? And is he getting all my messages? I just want them to be sent to my phone and phone only.

Thanks for the help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are using an Apple ID to send & receive iMessages, especially via your iPad, select to only use your phone number to send & receive them. That *should* prevent the iMessages from syncing to your iPad.

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My number is grayed out on my phone when i go to the messages in settings... I don't know if there is a way to just highlight the number and have that checked. Anyone know if that's possible?

I can only assume that your phone number is the only thing you have listed to send and receive iMessages from. If you had an Apple ID listed, your phone number would NOT be greyed out - or at least it shouldn't be. Anyway, without having your dad or someone else physically make the necessary changes on the iPad itself, your only option is, as has already been recommended, is to remotely wipe it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My number is grayed out on my phone when i go to the messages in settings... I don't know if there is a way to just highlight the number and have that checked. Anyone know if that's possible?

Not without being in front of the ipad .. He is getting all iMessages not texts you can not remotely turn it off but you can remotely wipe the ipad with find my iPhone app

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have it checked only to my number, but I think he was still getting them somehow. So I logged out of my Apple ID for messages and FaceTime and now it strictly will just go to my number. Is there no way of him seeing my messages now via the iPad?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have it checked only to my number, but I think he was still getting them somehow. So I logged out of my Apple ID for messages and FaceTime and now it strictly will just go to my number. Is there no way of him seeing my messages now via the iPad?
Enter your name in the "to: " at the top. Then look below to see what shows blue. If your email address is blue, then he still gets your iMessages. If only your number shows blue, then he no longer gets them.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
How can I change it so he doesn't get them at all anymore? Because it is still showing blue when I type the email in. If I change my Apple ID and start using a new one for iMessage will he stop getting them?

Last edited:

In Flames

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Settings> messages > send and receive > just select your number and uncheck your e mail and anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You can remotely wipe the iPad or use your phone number for iMessages.

If there was no passcode set on the iPad before, you can lock it with a new passcode of your choice via find my iPad. There is no need to wipe it as my fellow forum member says. However if there was already a passcode set on the iPad, then there is no other choice other than wiping it.

Maybe you can call your parents and ask them to disable iMessage in settings. There is a slight chance they will do as you said.

You also can threaten your dad with a lawsuits if he continues violating your privacy

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Try signing out of iMessage. Go to "Send and Receive" then tap on your Apple ID at the top.
enu2y3e9.jpg

Then tap on "Sign Out".
u7apevu7.jpg

Then tap where the Apple ID goes and sign back in. Make sure any email address is unchecked and only your number is checked.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unless the Apple ID on the iPad is signed out, that iPad will continue to receive iMessages from the Apple ID that is signed in and your phone number on your iPhone if you allowed the iPad to send and receive with it. It does not matter if you sign out your Apple ID on your iPhone, the number is still on the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unless the Apple ID on the iPad is signed out, that iPad will continue to receive iMessages from the Apple ID that is signed in and your phone number on your iPhone if you allowed the iPad to send and receive with it. It does not matter if you sign out your Apple ID on your iPhone, the number is still on the iPad.

Not the number. The email address would still be on the iPad. In which case she needs to get help from her Mom to sign out of iMessage on the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 on iMore Forums.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not the number. The email address would still be on the iPad. In which case she needs to get help from her Mom to sign out of iMessage on the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 on iMore Forums.

My number stayed on my iPod when I signed out of my Apple ID on my iPhone. I wasn't able to start a new conversation with my number on my iPod but I could still receive and reply to messages that were sent to my number on my iPod and when I replied using my iPod that message would also appear on my iPhone. Plus any iMessages I sent from my iPhone would sync to my iPod also.

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So there really isn't any solution? I told my dad to sign out of the iMessages and I think he did but for some reason they're still getting my messages. It's really invasive of my privacy. I have signed out of my Apple ID on my phone for messages, but I don't think that does anything. I also made a new Apple ID, but again I don't think that's going to do the trick either...

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So there really isn't any solution? I told my dad to sign out of the iMessages and I think he did but for some reason they're still getting my messages. It's really invasive of my privacy. I have signed out of my Apple ID on my phone for messages, but I don't think that does anything. I also made a new Apple ID, but again I don't think that's going to do the trick either...

I wonder if iCloud is the cause of your iMessages syncing with your iPad...

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk