Number change

JeevesVic

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 5S and I'm going to be moving soon. I've had the same number for years but the thought had crossed my mind to change it to a local number as my old number is long distance for friends.

Just curious as to how big if a pain it would be to change my number and get my 5S/iMessage changed over. My carrier is simple to do, just log on and change it basically.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never done it before. But I don't think there's much to it. I'm sure someone will be along soon who might have gone through this. Good luck.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it would be a pain at all...at least I hope not. I'll be moving out of state next year & I plan on changing my number. It seems like it'll be an easy change.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well you cannot change your own cell phone number so I would suggest to wait until you move and then call that local carrier or the I should say the Natl. number for whoever it is and simply ask them to change your cell phone number to a local area code number where you moved to. Making the change on your phone is no big deal in terms of iMessage. If you are not sure after they put in to make the number change ask tech to walk you through the change on your phone. BTW why would the number you have now be a long distance call for your friends when almost all call plans that I know include long distance at no charge even on land lines now a days.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well you cannot change your own cell phone number so I would suggest to wait until you move and then call that local carrier or the I should say the Natl. number for whoever it is and simply ask them to change your cell phone number to a local area code number where you moved to. Making the change on your phone is no big deal in terms of iMessage. If you are not sure after they put in to make the number change ask tech to walk you through the change on your phone. BTW why would the number you have now be a long distance call for your friends when almost all call plans that I know include long distance at no charge even on land lines now a days.

Yeah I have to agree here. Nowadays long distance is a thing of the past. Just my two cents.