Jailbreak Uber provided (driver) IPhone

I

iMore Question

I drive for ride-sharing service [Redacted]. They provide you with an iphone that has their driver app installed, and has data service through verizon. It is locked down (i'm guessing through some type of enterprise profile, i'm not up to speed on these technologies) so that only some basic apps and the uber app can run (no texting, itunes, web browser). this means we have to have a 2nd device to run navigation on or to call/text a rider from.

Even that would be fine, but they now want us to pay for the data service ($40 a month). I have not previously looked in to jailbreaking the phone, since they were paying for it. However, if i'm paying for the service, I'd like to be able to install my own navigation apps/etc. Any ideas how to go about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejaret

May 3, 2014
Visit site
this needs a bump! I have complained endlessly about this....INSANE that they can charge us $40 (or 2 gigs) for data we cant even use.....i would love to see the ammount of data we are using on the phone because i guarantee its negligible and the amount of data we use on our own phones (that we are getting charged for as well) is not being deducted

DroidArmy

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
You're getting a free phone! Use your own iPhone if you have a problem with it. If you jailbreak it and they find out, you'll be fired in no time. That's their property technically

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

shupor

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Not quite the answer OP is looking for but within the settings, factory resetting the device unlocks all the phones features. You will lose the Uber driver app though so doing this defeats the point

smooth_ride

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Let's attack this another way:

How do we put the Uber iphone driver app on MY iphone - so I can do what ever I want with the phone? Or more accurately, so the app resides on a fully functioning phone?

cjjr82

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I was curious about all this as well. If you go to settings > cellular you can see the data usage. In 2 months of using the phone I'm up to 314mb of data usage. I know there are some programs out there that can be used to get apps and everything else off of an ios device. I am going to look into it when I get home and see if I can't get the driver app from the phone to my computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73