Sync movies from iPhones to Mac?

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Is there some kind of workflow to sync 2 the movies taken from 2 iPhones to a Mac? And possibly into iMovie? Perhaps a 3rd party app like dropbox, or IFTTT?

My wife and I both take lots of videos of our now very mobile twins and it would be nice to get it all in once place and actually start to make something.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Connect the phone to your iMac with the USB cable... open iMovie... select "import" - you'll see your iPhone listed among the available sources... select the video on the phone you want to work with, and import it into iMovie.

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore!! I think the easiest way to do that is to email them to yourself and open them up on your Mac.

Unfortunately you're very limited to how long videos can be when you email them to yourself, even when on wifi.

Yes, I know how to transfer the movies using a cable. Or even iCloud shared photo streams work. But I am looking for something more automatic. I believe dropbox will auto sync photos and videos, but my dropbox is currently pretty full for another use. I like using Box, but I don't think they have an auto sync. And I really only want videos, not photos.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you're very limited to how long videos can be when you email them to yourself, even when on wifi.

Yes, I know how to transfer the movies using a cable. Or even iCloud shared photo streams work. But I am looking for something more automatic. I believe dropbox will auto sync photos and videos, but my dropbox is currently pretty full for another use. I like using Box, but I don't think they have an auto sync. And I really only want videos, not photos.

Do you have a specific app or service in mind?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I can't think of anything that's automatic but you can always upload your videos to iMovie Theater on your phone and as long as your Apple ID is the same on your phone and Mac, you can open those videos on iMovie on your Mac.

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Create a shared PhotoStream (even if it's shared just with yourself) and add the videos to it. Videos do sync in shared PhotoStreams even though your main PhotoStream doesn't contain videos.

I've done that too, and it works though it takes some time to sync, plus you do have to do it manually.

I think I'm going to try using Google Drive on both phones and then an automator action to import the videos. IFTTT seems to be not as granular as I had hoped, though that might come in handy too if the app won't do it automatically.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234