Which to buy at the same price?!

aamdanseur

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I know that I am about to start a thread for an age old argument, but my situation is a little different. I am going to preface this question by saying I have a gaming PC at home, and that I can get both of these laptops for EXACTLY the same price...
I am trying to decide whether to buy a:

2012(early 2013)-Retina Macbook Pro 15inch /2.4 i7/256gb/8gb ram/nvidia GT650m
Late 2013- Retina Macbook Pro 13inch/2.4 i5/256gb/8gb ram/ Iris Graphics

I know the numbers and figures and what they mean on paper and in the real world. I also know that you need to know what I am going to use it for, well:
Web surfing, email, word processing, watching the occasional movie or netflix, and gaming here and there. I have many games but mostly OSX retro emulator games and the occasional Diablo or Starcraft mix session which it seems through some research that either system would be fine to handle with reduced GPU settings. I would love to be able to play any of my games in bootcamp as well ( Crysis 3, tombraider etc.) and not have to worry about knocking down the graphic setting.

The part that I am stuck on is the price. I know that 15inch with discrete graphics was/is a better $2100 machine as of a few months back, but the lower battery life for general tasks and heavier weight have me stumped. Any input would be greatly appreciate, I have been a member or the community since 2008 but never had to ask a question:confused:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Normally, I'd say go with the latest model, but in this case, I have to agree with Keith. The faster processor and extra screen size trumps the newer model, especially when they're only 6 months apart.

aamdanseur

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know from experience, if there is a lot of heat on the i7 model? I know the newer processor and integrated graphics will run cooler, but will i notice the heat?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2