I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 (same Phone#). Now I'm unable to receive text messages.

I

iMore Question

I switched to galaxy s5 from iPhone 4 and didn't turn off iMessage before hand how do I fix this to where I can receive messages again on my new phone

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not really understanding what you are asking. If you just switched to Galaxy S5 and not using your iPhone 4 anymore. When you new phone is fully activated and running and SMS is set up, Simply by someone sending you a message you will receive it on your new phone. If i am missing something please let me know. Your iPhone becomes deactivated and nothing would go to it anyway. I will add that it does take a few days or sooner to catch up but you can call your carrier to make sure your old phone is completely deactivated.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not really understanding what you are asking. If you just switched to Galaxy S5 and not using your iPhone 4 anymore. When you new phone is fully activated and running and SMS is set up, Simply by someone sending you a message you will receive it on your new phone. If i am missing something please let me know. Your iPhone becomes deactivated and nothing would go to it anyway. I will add that it does take a few days or sooner to catch up but you can call your carrier to make sure your old phone is completely deactivated.

It appears if people have an iPhone, when trying to send you texts, they won't send. Not sure why this is such an issue with apple and iMessage, it used to be easy once you deactivated the iPhone before it would work, they must have added something in recent versions that makes it more difficult and gives users such issues. I guess apple really doesn't want people switching lol.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I learend the hard way yesterday, It is nothing thatthey did, I am told you have to shut off iMessage and give it a few days and it will eventually start working again. At best all you are going to get SMS from your iPhone to a non or even vice versa, Someone with a new Galaxy S5 to IOS will still be SMS. Any other was way you know has to be iPhone to iPhone.

Credit to: Not Quite Right. TY :)

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
supportprofile.apple.com

remove your number from your profile on the left and de register any product that's showing up in the middle.

also, chat applecare and we can revoke the certificate

then it should be done in less than 24hrs just so your number can be flushed from the system
hope that helps!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This had to me not to long ago when I switched to the Nexus 5. I wasn't getting text messages from people with iPhones. And just about everyone I work with has an iPhone. So it became problematic. I eventually got the issue resolved. Not only did I have to turn off iMessage, but any thread that was started with iMessage on their end had to be deleted first. Then they could start a new thread. It was a royal pain. Funny thing is after all of that, I ended up going back to the iPhone.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 (same Phone#). Now I'm unable to rec...

This had to me not to long ago when I switched to the Nexus 5. I wasn't getting text messages from people with iPhones. And just about everyone I work with has an iPhone. So it became problematic. I eventually got the issue resolved. Not only did I have to turn off iMessage, but any thread that was started with iMessage on their end had to be deleted first. Then they could start a new thread. It was a royal pain. Funny thing is after all of that, I ended up going back to the iPhone.

Switching between the two has always been a royal pain for me as well! Then once I got single text messages sorted out I could never find an app that would consistently deliver group messages! That's what always brought me back to iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 (same Phone#). Now I'm unable to rec...

Switching between the two has always been a royal pain for me as well! Then once I got single text messages sorted out I could never find an app that would consistently deliver group messages! That's what always brought me back to iPhone!

It almost seems like it was done on purpose doesn't it?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 (same Phone#). Now I'm unable to rec...

It almost seems like it was done on purpose doesn't it?

It sure does seem that way! I love the iPhone, Apple ecosystem and iOS to be sure but if the messaging issues didn't persist, I'd likely still be using the Moto X!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S5 (same Phone#). Now I'm unable to rec...

It sure does seem that way! I love the iPhone, Apple ecosystem and iOS to be sure but if the messaging issues didn't persist, I'd likely still be using the Moto X!

And I would have probably picked up the M8. But in the end, I'm happy with my iPhone.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

And I would have probably picked up the M8. But in the end, I'm happy with my iPhone.

As am I! I definitely don't plan to succumb to the temptation to stray again!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Two family members, and myself switched to various Android phones last year. All three of us had this text message - iMessage issue identical to what you went through, and just like yourself as soon as we got the issue straightened out, we all on our own without any coordination switched back to our iPhones.