Buying an Iphone 5 in New York

I

iMore Question

Hi, I want to know if its safe to buy it from this web site newyork.craigslist.org ?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally that is 100% a decision that you and only you can make. I personally would not buy anything much less an iPhone from Craig's list anywhere because of all the horror stories I have heard from here. You make the choice being sensible about what you think.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
safe from Craig's list can be hit or miss...

If you're buying a used iPhone anywhere, from anyone - you need to make sure it's not Activation Locked before you hand over any money... and if it's a Sprint or Verizon phone - verify with the carrier that the device's CDMA - MEID is not on an account that is in collection, or on their MEID/ESN Deny list.

After that - caveat emptor.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't do CL for an iPhone. It's really a big hassle. Especially with the activation/iCloud lock.

•Sent from space using Tapatalk.•

It doesn't have to be...making sure that you're an informed consumer is the biggest thing to make certain of...after that, it's just a matter of safety, which you can control yourself defining a place to do business where you are around other people, in view of an exit point and confident in making a good decision.

If a person can't do any of those things themselves, I would suggest never going outside again.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't have to be...making sure that you're an informed consumer is the biggest thing to make certain of...after that, it's just a matter of safety, which you can control yourself defining a place to do business where you are around other people, in view of an exit point and confident in making a good decision.

If a person can't do any of those things themselves, I would suggest never going outside again.

So it's fine one day, then the next they report in stolen suddenly?

I'm just concerned over the amount of fraud and trouble Craigslist has brought lately.

?Sent from space using Tapatalk.?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So it's fine one day, then the next they report in stolen suddenly?

I'm just concerned over the amount of fraud and trouble Craigslist has brought lately.

If the device is not locked down when you get it and you install your SIM card and convert it over to your backup in iTunes, reporting it stolen isn't going to do jack squat but waste that person's time. The police aren't going to go after a device that is "reported stolen" if the person doesn't have it connected to their own account still with the "Find My iPhone" still under their name...this is in direct relation to my "informed consumer" comment...when you buy the iPhone from a Craigslist ad, you don't hand over money until the device is completely reset back to factory settings and the person has PROVEN that Find My iPhone has been turned off. It's really simple to be honest.

I'm going to be brutally honest with you guys...I'd be more afraid of online sellers and eBay than I would of Craigslist. At least on Craigslist you can physically WATCH the person reset it to the standards that make it appropriate for sale. With eBay and other online selling points, you just kind of have to hope they do it properly and then find out when you get it in the mail. You have SO much more control over a Craigslist transaction than you do an eBay one...so why be so paranoid about CL?

It's all about how intelligent you are as a consumer and how prepared you are before you hand over your money.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
If the device is not locked down when you get it and you install your SIM card and convert it over to your backup in iTunes, reporting it stolen isn't going to do jack squat but waste that person's time. The police aren't going to go after a device that is "reported stolen" if the person doesn't have it connected to their own account still with the "Find My iPhone" still under their name...this is in direct relation to my "informed consumer" comment...when you buy the iPhone from a Craigslist ad, you don't hand over money until the device is completely reset back to factory settings and the person has PROVEN that Find My iPhone has been turned off. It's really simple to be honest.

Does that work the same for CDMA with no SIM? Just curious. I'm still new to iPhone and their security measures.

?Sent from space using Tapatalk.?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Does that work the same for CDMA with no SIM? Just curious. I'm still new to iPhone and their security measures.

Yes, the same works with a CDMA iPhone. The only difference is that you're stuck on the network the phone's from in most cases. Verizon is an exception.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It works the same for ANY iPhone. The only outlet they would really have is reporting to the carrier, which brings me to another point about buying used iPhones. Optimally, you'll make this transaction at a carrier store in your area, which will make it infinitely easier to weed out crooks and thieves because they know better than to walk into a carrier store, sell you a device and then try funny business.

If this isn't possible, make sure you contact your carrier before you buy to make sure you know exactly what to do to transfer your phone over...then as soon as you buy the device, transfer it. Once you have it setup in your name with your account and your Apple ID, there's really nothing someone can do to the device at all, and if they did try to contact the carrier to have it "blacklisted" (which i don't think the carriers even do anymore), they'd show it as your device and would hang up on the person anyways.

There are tons of crooks out there...but most people are honest and just trying to sell their iPhone to you most likely to get a new device or try something different. I'd say the majority of people who have issues with "Find My iPhone" passwords are people who either A.) Stole/Found a device that wasn't theirs to begin with, or B.) Had someone unfamiliar with the process that sold it to them, and would have zero problem helping them rectify the issue. Does that guarantee nothing can happen to you? Nope...but you never have that guarantee on the private market, regardless of what outlet you use to buy the device.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All of this when the person or buyer has an opportunity to actually meet the person in a public place and watch and see the phone reset as new, Totally unlocked and i might even call Apple with the seller there and give them the serial number or IMEI or the carrier and give them the same info...If the seller is legit he won't mind. If all checks out in your favor then and only then I would buy it otherwise pass and tell the seller to have a nice day instead of these people that say yeh man here is your $400.00 bucks(Just an Ex) and leaves with a dead phone that can't be used and we get them with the typical questions. It still amazes me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People get so caught up in thinking of what MIGHT happen, they forget that they don't have to LET ANYTHING happen. Just like Jag said, there are so many different ways you can completely and totally eliminate being ripped off with an iPhone that unfortunately, those that do get ripped off are just uneducated on the subject and shouldn't have gone out to buy the device on their own in the first place. Is it their fault someone ripped them off? Nope, but I think in today's world of e-commerce, a person certainly needs to make sure they have a higher level of competency and knowledge before slapping down hundreds of dollars to a person you don't know.

I mean hell, I carry a firearm EVERYwhere I go, and I still take all these precautions...because shooting someone requires too much paperwork afterwards, lol!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
People get so caught up in thinking of what MIGHT happen, they forget that they don't have to LET ANYTHING happen. Just like Jag said, there are so many different ways you can completely and totally eliminate being ripped off with an iPhone that unfortunately, those that do get ripped off are just uneducated on the subject and shouldn't have gone out to buy the device on their own in the first place. Is it their fault someone ripped them off? Nope, but I think in today's world of e-commerce, a person certainly needs to make sure they have a higher level of competency and knowledge before slapping down hundreds of dollars to a person you don't know.

I mean hell, I carry a firearm EVERYwhere I go, and I still take all these precautions...because shooting someone requires too much paperwork afterwards, lol!
Yep not to mention the pesky what is it called Sean? Oh yeh Internal Affairs off w/o pay or with depending on who you work for....lol
Seriously it is just a simple again with Sean like Dude show me you are legit as a seller in a nice way. Who is the carrier, Oh great lets sit down while I make a call. hell carrier I am buying this phone from a private owner, Please check your list for me and Apple. If that seller is legit and wants his overpriced money he will wait and last you know what you are looking for. Look for the setup screen that it was reset and unlocked.. Set up YOUR iCloud right there to make sure activation locks clear and if so and you got an ok from who you called,pay the guy and leave.
Too many people give the seller their money and wind up in front of us.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

An iPhone is an iPhone, If it has the new activation features in place and you pay and leave without checking the phone to be clear and clean and I could not spend 5 mins. setting up my own iCloud acct and watch it work, I am walking, There are too many iphones legit out there to buy.

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure you meet the seller in an Apple or carrier store and don't hand over money until phone is activated in your name.

This is the safest way to go about it. Craigslist isn't bad as long as you do as Sean says and make sure you pick a good safe public place. Meet them at a corporate store for your carrier and have the carrier activate it and make sure it is not stolen or ID locked.

ig91

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
This is the safest way to go about it. Craigslist isn't bad as long as you do as Sean says and make sure you pick a good safe public place. Meet them at a corporate store for your carrier and have the carrier activate it and make sure it is not stolen or ID locked.
Other than buying your unlocked phone online, Craigslist is the second most popular option for New Yorkers. If you do some minimum homework - your risk will be pretty much the same as buying from Amazon or eBay.
1. Check IMEI for red flags – you can Google 'IMEI checker' - do it before you go to a meeting.
2. Test/activate it with you SIM card.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods