Removing new update indicator on iPhone

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the stock iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1. I will probably continue to update through the 7.x series but that's it. I won't update to 8.0 because I am almost certain it will be too much of a resource hog as was shown with my older devices.

I know that the new update file is pushed onto your device in the background when connected to wifi. It remains dormant and consuming your storage memory (usually up to 2 GB). I have the iPhone 5, 16 GB.

I would like to know two things, but I am not sure how to go about and if it's do-able.

Is there a method to remove the update (permanently) from your device? It appears in "Other" when connected to iTunes.
Can we now backup our blogs for the iPhone 5? If so, how?

Thanks

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the stock iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1. I will probably continue to update through the 7.x series but that's it. I won't update to 8.0 because I am almost certain it will be too much of a resource hog as was shown with my older devices.

I know that the new update file is pushed onto your device in the background when connected to wifi. It remains dormant and consuming your storage memory (usually up to 2 GB). I have the iPhone 5, 16 GB.

I would like to know two things, but I am not sure how to go about and if it's do-able.

Is there a method to remove the update (permanently) from your device? It appears in "Other" when connected to iTunes.
Can we now backup our blogs for the iPhone 5? If so, how?

Thanks

Welcome to iMore!!!

As far as removing the update notification goes, you can only do that through jailbreaking. I'm not sure about the blogs. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can definitely do it through jailbreaking. My iPhone and iPad were running iOS6.1.4 for ages after iOS7 came out and I suppressed the notification form my phone and iPad completely..

It's called Software Update Killer and it's available through Cydia.