I need to disable text messaging on an iPhone. Please help.

I

iMore Question

My son is sending inappropriate text messages from his iphone. I can't take the phone away from him completely, because I need to reach him. I have locked down safari, the camera, facebook, and other apps that he is abusing, but I can't figure out how to block text messages. Any advice (short of beating him - which I have considered) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. Go to Settings - Messages and then disable iMessage
2. Go to Settings - General - Restrictions, enter the Restrictions passcode, and then scroll down to "Accounts", tap on it, and then select "Don't Allow Changes".

By doing so, he will not be able to enable iMessage, but I'm not sure if an SMS message can't be sent.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Only way is by having the carrier block text messages from his device. But he could still sent them via other apps that use data. Blocking his data also will solve your issue till he learns how to act right. A beating might not be a bad idea too😉

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know that carriers like Mine VZW will block these premium messages as they call them - Advertising but don't know if they can block what you are trying to do and i mean any carrier. I only used Verizon as an example. You can do it the way 'D suggested how to and just one thing that bothers me... Please you should not talk about beating him because you just don't know how someone can would take that and it would be a bit extreme to handle this. Just a thought, He is your son. Good luck.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The OP is asking how to do something and is suggesting beating his son and one other has picked up on it, He is not mine but nowadays you have to be careful what you say as that kind of statement taken wrong by someone can cause trouble and much better ways to handle this situation. I am just saying that is all.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The OP is asking how to do something and is suggesting beating his son and one other has picked up on it, He is not mine but nowadays you have to be careful what you say as that kind of statement taken wrong by someone can cause trouble and much better ways to handle this situation. i am just saying that is all.

I'm sure the comments were referring to a whooping but I could see how it may be taken the wrong way. Unfortunately, we live in a very sensitive America...no wonder these kids are acting a fool!!! Ijs

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My son is sending inappropriate text messages from his iphone. I can't take the phone away from him completely, because I need to reach him. I have locked down safari, the camera, facebook, and other apps that he is abusing, but I can't figure out how to block text messages. Any advice (short of beating him - which I have considered) would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You should be able to contact your carrier and request they suspend certain features on the account for a certain amount of time.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
The OP is asking how to do something and is suggesting beating his son and one other has picked up on it, He is not mine but nowadays you have to be careful what you say as that kind of statement taken wrong by someone can cause trouble and much better ways to handle this situation. i am just saying that is all.

Can't take everything so serious Jan

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If the kid is doing something inappropriate with the iPhone, remove the iPhone. Give him/her a flip phone with basic abilities, and call it a day. Problem solved.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If the kid is doing something inappropriate with the iPhone, remove the iPhone. Give him/her a flip phone with basic abilities, and call it a day. Problem solved.

I was going to say the same thing. Teach him a lesson...get him one of those phones that can only have like 3 numbers programed in (you, the police, and one other I think). If I am not mistaken, these phones don't even have a key pad, so he literally can't use it to contact anyone that isnt programed into the phone.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the comments were referring to a whooping but I could see how it may be taken the wrong way. Unfortunately, we live in a very sensitive America...no wonder these kids are acting a fool!!! Ijs
Same way I felt and you slightly different Nikki which is my point, You just have to be careful nowadays and you have kids too.:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't take everything so serious Jan
Yes i know and it was not that I was being so serious as much as there is enough abuse in the world - in this country and you don't know when people say these things what they really mean and that is why I Said it the way I did...No harm done.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Props to Sean for using this rare thing called Common Sense !

I don't have kids, but what I observe is a trend of trying to be a kid's "friend" vs. "parent"...I see it with my own nephews and niece. They screw up, do something they've been instructed not to (or know not to do), and then in an effort to maintain some kind of "friendship", parents so often dance around an issue to make it fair.

I personally find it pretty hilarious. In the end, why are there negotiations? I've never understood it, and I grew up in a house with 5 kids and myself. My mom never spared the rod, nor did she allow for negotiations when it came to punishments. I base my advice or suggestions on what I know she would do if there were such things around when we were kids...when I was young, AIM was a really popular thing...you know what would happen if she found inappropriate messages on AIM? She'd lock the computer down from me until she was ready for me to use it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a youth director and work with kids and parents all day. The things I see parents let kids do and get away with is astonishing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW